C2H4 Structure: Sigma & Pi Orbitales Determinations

• Thread starter vedo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of group representations and symmetry to determine the possible sigma and pi orbitals of the C2H4 molecule. It is suggested that the D2h group of symmetry may be applicable, but there are no 2-dimensional irreducible representations responsible for pi orbitals in this group. The use of D2h as the correct point group for C2H4 is also mentioned. The individual asking the question is interested in finding recent articles on the structure of C2H4 using group symmetry, but has only found older works from 1933 and 1950.
vedo
I need to determine possible sigma and pi orbitales of C2H4 molecul using theory of group representations and symetry.It is asked to take from C atom all orbitales with n=2.
I think it could be D2h group of symetry,bu it doesn,t have 2dimensional ireducibile representations that a responsible for pi orbitales.

Physics news on Phys.org
D2h is the correct point group for C2H4 from what I can tell from my well worn copy of Infrared and Raman Spectra by Herzberg pg 150.

Thanks for the answer.I am interested if there are some articles published in recent scientifical physical journals about structure of C2H4,especialy by use of group symmetry.I found only works of Mulican from 1933. year and lennard Jones from 1950. year.

Related to C2H4 Structure: Sigma & Pi Orbitales Determinations

What is the chemical formula for C2H4?

The chemical formula for C2H4 is ethene or ethylene.

What is the structure of C2H4?

C2H4 has a linear molecular structure, with each carbon atom forming a double bond with the other.

What are sigma and pi orbitals?

Sigma and pi orbitals are types of molecular orbitals formed by the overlap of atomic orbitals in covalent bonds. Sigma orbitals are cylindrically symmetrical, while pi orbitals are dumbbell-shaped.

How are sigma and pi orbitals determined in C2H4?

In C2H4, the two carbon atoms each have one sigma bond and one pi bond formed by the overlap of their p orbitals. These bonds give the molecule its linear structure.

What is the significance of sigma and pi orbitals in C2H4?

The sigma and pi bonds in C2H4 are responsible for its unique properties, such as its reactivity and ability to undergo addition reactions. These bonds also contribute to the strength and stability of the molecule.