C.c.'s question at Yahoo Answers regarding factoring a polynomial

In summary, the given polynomial can be factored into the product of two polynomials, A and B, where the coefficient of c in A is less than the coefficient of c in B. The process involves factoring the first three terms as the square of a binomial and using the difference of squares formula. The final expression is then written as A*B, with A and B chosen to have the desired coefficient on the term containing c. Additional factoring questions can be posted on the math help forum.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Help with math question please!?

The polynomial 81a^{14} - 18a^{7}b + 1b^{2} - 16c^{-4} can be factored into the product of two polynomials, A & B, where the coefficient of c in A is less than the coefficient of c in B. Find A and B.

If you could, try to show me how to solve this step by step.
{exponents}

Here is a link to the question:

Help with math question please!? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello c.c.,

We are given to factor:

\(\displaystyle 81a^{14}-18a^{7}b+b^{2}-16c^{-4}\)

We may factor the first 3 terms as the square of a binomial, while the 4th term is a square as well:

\(\displaystyle \left(9a^7-b \right)^2-\left(4c^{-2} \right)\)

Using the difference of squares formula \(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=(x+y)(x-y)\), we may write the expression as:

\(\displaystyle \left(9a^7-b+4c^{-2} \right)\left(9a^7-b-4c^{-2} \right)\)

Now, choosing $A$ such that the coefficient on the term containing $c$ is the smaller one, we have:

\(\displaystyle A=9a^7-b-4c^{-2}\)

\(\displaystyle B=9a^7-b+4c^{-2}\)

To c.c., and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to register and post other factoring questions in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f2/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to C.c.'s question at Yahoo Answers regarding factoring a polynomial

1. How do I factor a polynomial?

To factor a polynomial, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of all the terms and then use the distributive property to break it down into simpler expressions. Then, you can use methods such as grouping, difference of squares, or trial and error to further factor the polynomial.

2. What is the difference between factoring and simplifying a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial means breaking it down into simpler expressions, while simplifying a polynomial involves reducing the expression to its simplest form. Factoring can help in solving equations and finding roots, while simplifying is useful for evaluating expressions.

3. Can all polynomials be factored?

Yes, all polynomials can be factored. However, some polynomials may have complex or irrational factors that cannot be easily expressed in terms of integers or rational numbers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when factoring a polynomial?

Some common mistakes to avoid when factoring a polynomial include forgetting to check for a common factor, making errors in applying the distributive property, and mistaking a term for a factor. It is also important to check your final factored expression to ensure it is equivalent to the original polynomial.

5. Can factoring a polynomial help in solving equations?

Yes, factoring a polynomial can be very useful in solving equations. By factoring the polynomial, you can identify the roots or solutions of the equation. This can help in solving both linear and quadratic equations, as well as more complex equations involving higher degree polynomials.