Bullet strikes block on friction surface

In summary: But I do not know if it is elastic or not. So we need to use both the equations, and I could not find the solution. This is because there are 2 unknowns (initial speed of bullet and final speed of block) and only one equation (KE). So we need the other equation (momentum conservation) to be able to solve for both unknowns. In summary, the problem involves a 26.2 g bullet fired horizontally into a 1.32 kg wooden block resting on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.173. The bullet goes through the block and comes out with a speed of 298 m/s. The block travels 3.01 m before coming to rest
cashflow

Homework Statement

A 26.2 g bullet is fired horizontally into a
1.32 kg wooden block resting on a horizon-
tal surface (μ = 0.173). The bullet goes
through the block and comes out with a speed
of 298 m/s.

If the block travels 3.01 m before coming to
rest, what was the initial speed of the bullet?
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

W = μmg * d
W = .5mvf2-.5mvi2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that the kinetic energy transferred by the bullet to the block would be the force of friction of the block.
W = .173 * (1.32 kg + .0262 kg) * 9.8 m/s2 * 3.01 m = 6.869 J

6.869 J = .5(.0262 kg)(298 m/s)2-.5(.0262 kg)Vi2
= 298.87 m/s

However, my concept is likely wrong because that's not the right answer. I would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
cashflow said:

Homework Statement

A 26.2 g bullet is fired horizontally into a
1.32 kg wooden block resting on a horizon-
tal surface (μ = 0.173). The bullet goes
through the block and comes out with a speed
of 298 m/s.

If the block travels 3.01 m before coming to
rest, what was the initial speed of the bullet?
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

W = μmg * d
W = .5mvf2-.5mvi2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that the kinetic energy transferred by the bullet to the block would be the force of friction of the block.
W = .173 * (1.32 kg + .0262 kg) * 9.8 m/s2 * 3.01 m = 6.869 J
this is the work done by friction, and esentially correct, except eliminate the bullet mass, it is not part of the block as it starts to move.
6.869 J = .5(.0262 kg)(298 m/s)2-.5(.0262 kg)Vi2
= 298.87 m/s

However, my concept is likely wrong because that's not the right answer. I would appreciate any help.
The work done by friction is the change in KE of the BLOCK, not the bullet, you are using the wrong mass and speeds. the final speed of the block is 0, he initial speed of the block you need to solve using the other info on friction force and distance travelled. Then use conservation of momentum, where the initial speed of the block calculated avove is the speed of the block after the bullet collision.

We do not know if the collision is elastic or inelastic. You must use the momentum conservation. I worked out and found initial velocity of the bullet to be 460m/sec. I put this in the K.E equation and found the missing energy of 1614 J that was spent by the bullet in tearing the block

Last edited:

Related to Bullet strikes block on friction surface

What is the purpose of studying "Bullet strikes block on friction surface"?

The purpose of studying "Bullet strikes block on friction surface" is to understand the effects of friction on the motion of a bullet and its impact on a block. This can help in the development of materials and structures that can withstand high-speed impacts.

How does the friction surface affect the trajectory of a bullet?

The friction surface can significantly affect the trajectory of a bullet by slowing it down and changing its direction. This is because friction converts the kinetic energy of the bullet into heat, reducing its speed and altering its path.

What factors can influence the amount of friction between the bullet and the surface?

The amount of friction between the bullet and the surface can be influenced by various factors such as the material and texture of the surface, the speed and weight of the bullet, and the presence of any lubricants or coatings on the surface.

How does the angle of impact affect the friction between the bullet and the surface?

The angle of impact can affect the friction between the bullet and the surface by changing the surface area of contact. A larger surface area of contact results in more friction, while a smaller surface area results in less friction.

What are some real-world applications of studying "Bullet strikes block on friction surface"?

Studying "Bullet strikes block on friction surface" has various real-world applications, such as in the design of bulletproof materials, understanding the behavior of projectiles in sports like archery and shooting, and improving the safety and efficiency of high-speed transportation systems.