Building Schaffner FN410 Line Filter - Inductors Connected to Ground

In summary: The inductors used in this type of filter are typically small and low- inductance types (0.1 to 0.3 HZ at 10 MegaHertz) to help against common mode noise.
Kilamir
I am trying to build the Schaffner line filter FN410 out of discrete parts. The datasheet for that part can be seen here:

http://www.schaffner.com/corporate/en/register_log.asp?language_id=12&fN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eschaffner%2Ecom%2Fcomponents%2Fen%2F%5Fpdf%2FDatasheet+FN410+e+6%2Epdf

Anyways, they list all the values for the inductors and capacitors that they use in the circuit except for the inductors connected to ground. I believe they help against incoming common-mode noise. Does anybody have an idea what inductance should be use for those inductors?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Kilamir said:
I am trying to build the Schaffner line filter FN410 out of discrete parts. The datasheet for that part can be seen here:

http://www.schaffner.com/corporate/en/register_log.asp?language_id=12&fN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eschaffner%2Ecom%2Fcomponents%2Fen%2F%5Fpdf%2FDatasheet+FN410+e+6%2Epdf

Anyways, they list all the values for the inductors and capacitors that they use in the circuit except for the inductors connected to ground. I believe they help against incoming common-mode noise. Does anybody have an idea what inductance should be use for those inductors?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the PF, Kilamir. It's a great place.

I don't see any inductors to ground in the filter datasheet schematic, and inductors are not usually connected to ground in this type of filter anyway. In general, the topology will be some series high impedances (the inductors) and some parallel low impedances (the X and Y capacitors) to provide the lowpass filtering characteristics (for both common mode and differential mode).

In the schematic for this filter, there is an X cap for the differential lowpass filter characteristic (in conjunction with the inductors), and two Y caps for the common-mode lowpass filter characteristic. Of course, the Y caps also provide some additional differential LPF contribution as well (Quiz Question -- why?). Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, great job on attempting to build the Schaffner FN410 line filter out of discrete parts. It definitely takes some skill and knowledge to do so. As for the inductors connected to ground, the datasheet does not specify the exact inductance values because it can vary depending on the specific application and environment. Generally, these inductors are used to suppress common-mode noise, so their value should be chosen based on the frequency range and amplitude of the noise you are trying to filter out. You can use a general rule of thumb of around 10-100 uH for these inductors, but it is always best to consult with a professional or perform some testing to determine the optimal value for your specific application. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Building Schaffner FN410 Line Filter - Inductors Connected to Ground

1. What is a Schaffner FN410 Line Filter?

A Schaffner FN410 Line Filter is an electronic component that is used to suppress and filter out electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI) from power lines. It is commonly used in electronic equipment to improve their performance and reduce noise.

2. How does the Schaffner FN410 Line Filter work?

The Schaffner FN410 Line Filter works by using inductors, capacitors, and resistors to block unwanted high frequency signals from entering or exiting the electronic equipment. The inductors are connected to ground to divert the high frequency signals away from the equipment and reduce their impact on the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using a Schaffner FN410 Line Filter?

The main benefit of using a Schaffner FN410 Line Filter is that it can significantly reduce electromagnetic interference and improve the performance of electronic equipment. It can also help to protect sensitive components from damage caused by high frequency signals. Additionally, it can help electronic equipment comply with regulatory standards for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).

4. How do I install a Schaffner FN410 Line Filter?

The installation of a Schaffner FN410 Line Filter will vary depending on the specific electronic equipment and its design. However, in general, the filter should be installed close to the power supply and connected to the equipment using appropriate wiring. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult with a professional if needed.

5. Can a Schaffner FN410 Line Filter be used in all electronic equipment?

Schaffner FN410 Line Filters can be used in a wide range of electronic equipment, including computers, televisions, and medical devices. However, it is important to ensure that the filter is compatible with the specific equipment and its power requirements. Consult with the manufacturer or a professional to determine the best filter for your equipment.