Building a capacitor to find the dielectric constant

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where the speaker had to use two methods to find the capacitance of printer paper. They obtained two different values for the constant, k, and questioned whether there was an error in their data or if the inconsistency was expected. They also discussed the relationship between area and capacitance, as well as the dielectric constant. The conversation ends with suggestions for further analysis and potential sources of error in the measurements.
xSpartanCx

Homework Statement

I have a lab where I have to use two methods to find the capacitance of printer paper.

Homework Equations

C = kAeo / d

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-10-2_17-49-22.png

From these slopes, I got k = .897 for the first type (using changing distance between the plates of the capacitor)
for the second method, altering the size of the capacitors, I got k = 1.8. Is there something I'm doing wrong or did we just get inconsistent data?

Physics news on Phys.org
Capacitance should rise with area, not area1/2.
Did you expect the two k's to be the same? Not sure why they should be ...
The computed capacitances are all within reason.
What is the area for the 1st plot? How many sheets for the second plot?

rude man said:
Capacitance should rise with area, not area1/2.
Did you expect the two k's to be the same? Not sure why they should be ...
The computed capacitances are all within reason.
What is the area for the 1st plot? How many sheets for the second plot?

I expect the two k's to be the same since it's still got paper in between. the first plot has an area of .252m by .2m, the second plot has 4 sheets. If I do A vs C, then I get k to be 3.7. Why are they so different?

EDIT: Oh, I see! is the 3.7 the dielectric constant for 4 sheets, and therefore I should divide it by 4 to get the constant for one?

The slopes should not be the same, as you compare different things (fixed area and variable 1/d versus fixed 1/d and variable area). Converted to the parameter in the general formula for the capacitance, you should get the same result.

The first plot should show a linear relationship, so the trend line should go through the origin. It does not, so something went wrong there.
For the second one it's hard to tell because you plotted the square root, but I think there is an offset issue as well.

The dielectric constant does not depend on the number of sheets. It is a material constant.

mfb said:
The slopes should not be the same, as you compare different things (fixed area and variable 1/d versus fixed 1/d and variable area). Converted to the parameter in the general formula for the capacitance, you should get the same result.

The first plot should show a linear relationship, so the trend line should go through the origin. It does not, so something went wrong there.
For the second one it's hard to tell because you plotted the square root, but I think there is an offset issue as well.

The dielectric constant does not depend on the number of sheets. It is a material constant.
mfb said:

So then why do I get .89 for one calculation and 3.7 for the other? The slope I get for C vs A is 8x10^-8

Something is wrong with the measurements if the trend lines don't go through the origin.
I don't know what, and I guess it would be necessary to analyze the measurement procedure in detail.

mfb said:
Something is wrong with the measurements if the trend lines don't go through the origin.
I don't know what, and I guess it would be necessary to analyze the measurement procedure in detail.
On page 53 of this paper (http://users.df.uba.ar/sgil/physics_paper_doc/papers_phys/e&m/dielectr_const_2k4.pdf), they show a graph of inverse thickness vs the capacitance. In that paper, they show that based on the amount of pressure, the y intercept varies, and none of their lines ever go through the origin, so is that really an issue?

The variation with area data is wrong/erroneous. After looking at your table, I conclude your measurements were probably of the side of a square vs. capacitance, and you need to convert that to area vs. capacitance before plotting.

You deserve praise for the neat presentation of your data and graphs here.

NascentOxygen said:
The variation with area data is wrong/erroneous. After looking at your table, I conclude your measurements were probably of the side of a square vs. capacitance, and you need to convert that to area vs. capacitance before plotting.

You deserve praise for the neat presentation of your data and graphs here.
Unfortunately those are the dimensions of the area; we kept the x dimension stable at .252m, whereas the y would decrease -- {.2, .19, .183, .173, .16)m

Have you compared your results with what might be expected? With the relative permittivity of paper being in the range 2-4.5, what capacitance might you expect with a 0.0002m thickness sandwiched between metal plates 0.25m x 0.2m?

How to account for any discrepancy?

How did you measure capacitance?
Could something else in the circuit increase capacitance?

Related to Building a capacitor to find the dielectric constant

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How do you measure the dielectric constant of a material?

To measure the dielectric constant of a material, a capacitor can be built using the material as the dielectric. The capacitance (C) of the capacitor can then be measured and the dielectric constant (ε) can be calculated using the formula ε = C/C0, where C0 is the capacitance of the same capacitor with a vacuum as the dielectric.

3. Can any material be used as a dielectric for a capacitor?

No, not all materials can be used as a dielectric for a capacitor. The material must have a high dielectric constant and be able to withstand high electric fields without breaking down. Common dielectric materials include ceramics, paper, and certain types of plastics.

4. What is the significance of the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized by an electric field. It is an important factor in determining the capacitance and energy storage capacity of a capacitor. Materials with higher dielectric constants can store more energy in a capacitor.

5. How does temperature affect the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant of a material can vary with temperature. In general, as temperature increases, the dielectric constant of most materials will decrease. However, there are some exceptions where the dielectric constant may increase with temperature. It is important to consider the temperature when designing capacitors for specific applications.