Build Electrodynamic Trap:Camera,Voltage,Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of an electrodynamic trap using 2 ring electrodes to trap aerosol particles. The speaker mentions applying a voltage of 5 KV and asks for advice on what camera to use to visualize the particles and what distance should be maintained between the rings. The response includes information on the breakdown of air at a field of 30 kV/cm and the importance of spacing between the electrodes to avoid sparks. The conversation also mentions examples of this technology, such as Honeywell's electrostatic air purifier and provides additional resources for more information.
a789irfan
I am new to physics. I am trying to build an electrodynamic trap using 2 ring electrodes to trap aerosol particles. I will be applying a voltage of 5 KV. What are the things that i need for example what camera do i use to visulaize the particles and what distance should i maintain between the rings

Physics news on Phys.org
Air breaks down at a field of about 30 kV/cm, modified a bit by humidity and significantly by the presence of larger particles. Since you don't want sparks, you want a spacing large compared to 5/30 cm or about 1.6 mm if you have smooth electrodes. The field increases dramatically at sharp edges, and more so at sharp points (the reason Franklin used sharpened rods to protect houses against lightning), so you might want to start with a cm or so.

This technology is common--take a look at Honeywell's electrostatic air purifier for home furnaces, or these links.

http://www.airpurifiers.com/technology/electronic.htm"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_air_cleaner"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there,

Building an electrodynamic trap can be a challenging but exciting project. The first thing you will need is a high voltage power supply capable of providing a stable 5 KV output. You will also need two ring electrodes, which can be made from metal or conductive material. The rings should be evenly spaced apart and have a small gap between them.

In terms of visualizing the particles, you can use a high-speed camera capable of capturing fast-moving objects. It is important to choose a camera with a high frame rate and resolution to accurately capture the movement of the particles. Additionally, you may want to consider using a laser or LED light source to illuminate the particles for better visibility.

As for the distance between the rings, it will depend on the size and charge of the particles you are trying to trap. Generally, the smaller the particles, the closer the rings should be to each other. It is recommended to start with a distance of a few millimeters and adjust accordingly based on your observations.

Lastly, I would recommend doing some research on electrodynamic traps and consulting with experienced scientists or engineers for additional guidance. Good luck with your project!

Related to Build Electrodynamic Trap:Camera,Voltage,Distance

1. How does an electrodynamic trap work?

An electrodynamic trap works by using electric and magnetic fields to trap charged particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a specific location. The particles are attracted to the center of the trap due to the strong electric field, while the magnetic field prevents them from escaping.

2. What is the purpose of a camera in an electrodynamic trap?

The camera is used to monitor and track the movement of particles within the trap. This allows researchers to study the behavior and interactions of the particles in real time.

3. What voltage is typically used in an electrodynamic trap?

The voltage used in an electrodynamic trap can vary depending on the size and type of particles being trapped. However, it is typically in the range of a few hundred to a few thousand volts.

4. How far away should the camera be placed from the electrodynamic trap?

The distance between the camera and the trap depends on the type of camera being used and the desired level of resolution. Generally, a distance of a few inches to a few feet is recommended for optimal imaging.

5. Can an electrodynamic trap be used to trap non-charged particles?

No, electrodynamic traps are specifically designed to trap charged particles. For non-charged particles, other trapping techniques such as optical traps or magnetic traps may be used.