Build a Simple Steam Engine for Under Rs. 10

In summary: Do you have a link to the video where you have demonstrated this?In summary, this person made a steam engine using simple parts like cardboard, disposable syringe, straw, pen end caps and bicycle spokes. He found that blowing air through the engineproduces lower rpm, and that an air compressor can be used to make the engine more powerful. He also demonstrated how the engine works by varying the mass of the flywheel.
ganuganu
Hello everyone this is my first steam engine made using very simple parts like cardboard, disposable syringe, straw, pen end caps and bicycle spokes.

How much economical can you make your engine? Here it is costs only about Rs.10. Blowed air through mouth that's why produces lower rpm use compressor(i don't have one) iam sure it will give good results. Hope you all like my engine and video. Took nearly 20minutes to make the engine.
Cannot hold the breadth for long time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gLL4LSitE&list=UUMrDsjmztQSbx5IHa1WL9nw&index=1&feature=plcp

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's nice. Can you detail out it some more? Then I can see how to help you making it more economical or more powerful. How does it wrk? I can see you have used no valves..

PhysicoRaj said:
Then I can see how to help you making it more economical ..
i think its already economical.

Yes, to make a steam engine out of those things, costing just 10 Rupees. But if it is made more powerful, u can have some use out of it. But this will make the cost go high.

PhysicoRaj said:
Yes, to make a steam engine out of those things, costing just 10 Rupees. But if it is made more powerful, u can have some use out of it. But this will make the cost go high.
I blowed air that's why it produces lower rpm, if compressor is used iam sure it gives good result and also be used for some application eg. power a LED.

What is the mechanism you used? I mean did you use the system of valves, etc. that are used in the original commercial steam engine? I didn't get to see how you built it in the video.

Its oscillating engine, valves are not required for this type.

So, after being pushed down by the blown air, the piston simply moves in the other stroke (upward stroke) just due to the momentum of the flywheel? Because, in the original one they use another fresh steam inlet to complete the other half of the rotation. If that is the case then I think you have not used an airtight piston so that it would facilitate the piston in the other stroke.

PhysicoRaj said:
So, after being pushed down by the blown air, the piston simply moves in the other stroke (upward stroke) just due to the momentum of the flywheel? Because, in the original one they use another fresh steam inlet to complete the other half of the rotation. If that is the case then I think you have not used an airtight piston so that it would facilitate the piston in the other stroke.
There is also another type of oscillating engine other than what you said. Here is the picture, i used this principle for my engine.

Attachments

• 220px-Oscillating_cylinder.svg.png
    220px-Oscillating_cylinder.svg.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 559
That's a good idea.

Try varying the mass of the flywheel to something a bit heavier and see if that helps keep it rotating by the increased momentum on the exhaust stroke.
Quite ingeniuos I must say.

Related to Build a Simple Steam Engine for Under Rs. 10

1. How does a steam engine work?

A steam engine works by using hot steam to create pressure, which is then used to power a piston. The steam is created by heating water in a boiler, and the pressure from the steam pushes the piston, creating motion.

2. What materials do I need to build a simple steam engine?

To build a simple steam engine for under Rs. 10, you will need a small metal container (such as a soup can), a small metal tube, a rubber band or spring, a heat source (such as a candle or small stove), and some water.

3. Is it safe to build a steam engine at home?

Building a simple steam engine at home can be safe as long as you take proper precautions. Make sure to use heat-resistant materials and handle hot objects with care. Also, be cautious when using a heat source and keep the steam engine away from flammable materials.

4. Can I use a different heat source besides a candle or stove?

Yes, you can use a variety of heat sources to power your steam engine, such as a small alcohol burner, a Bunsen burner, or even a solar collector. Just make sure to use caution and follow proper safety measures when using any heat source.

5. What can I use a simple steam engine for?

A simple steam engine can be used for educational purposes, such as learning about the principles of steam power and basic engineering concepts. It can also be used as a fun DIY project or as a simple demonstration of how steam power works. However, it is not recommended for practical use as it is not a very efficient or powerful engine.