Build a machine that could defy gravity

In summary, the speaker is interested in building a machine that can defy gravity and atmospheric pressure and allow for travel around the world without moving. They are looking for information on this topic and recognize that it may seem impossible, but they are curious and eager to learn more. A possible solution to this idea is a balloon, but it would take longer than 24 hours due to the rotating atmosphere. Another option could be a spatial satellite, but it would be more expensive. The speaker also suggests the use of a balloon with propulsion to counteract the movement of the atmosphere.
outlawedge23
Hey, first off I want to say that I don't have much background with physics (that's the reason I don't know where to put this thread at, because I have no clue of what kind of physics this contains) even though I would love to. But anyways, I was thinking randomly the other day and I was wondering if there was a way to build a machine that could not only defy gravity and atmospheric pressure, but also take you around the world by not moving at all and letting the Earth revolve under you. I would like to hear some responses on some ways I could find information on this topic. I know it is probably insane in many eyes, but it just makes me wonder and I love learning more. Please help in any way and thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The machine you are looking for is a balloon and it has already been used for this purpose. Understand, though, that the atmosphere mostly rotates with the earth, so it takes a lot longer than 24 hours to circumnavigate the globe this way.

they do launch geostationary satellites so a spatial satellite is probably possible as well and would avoid the effect of rotating atmosphere, but cost a lot more.

perhaps a balloon with some sort of propulsion to move in exactly the equal and opposite direction to the atmosphere hence not moving...

Related to Build a machine that could defy gravity

1. What is the concept of defying gravity?

The concept of defying gravity is essentially creating a machine or device that is able to overcome the force of gravity, which is the natural force that pulls objects towards the Earth's surface.

2. Can gravity be completely defied?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be completely defied. However, it can be overcome or neutralized in certain situations or through the use of advanced technology.

3. What are some examples of machines that can defy gravity?

Some examples of machines that can defy gravity include rockets, airplanes, and helicopters. These machines use propulsion or lift to counteract the force of gravity and achieve flight.

4. How does a machine defy gravity?

A machine can defy gravity by generating an upward force that is greater than the force of gravity pulling it downward. This can be achieved through various methods such as propulsion, lift, or even electromagnetic forces.

5. What are the challenges in building a machine that can defy gravity?

Building a machine that can defy gravity requires advanced technology and precise engineering. Some challenges include generating enough power to counteract the force of gravity, ensuring stability and control during flight, and finding materials that can withstand the extreme conditions of defying gravity.