Build 220V AC Transformer for Variable DC Outputs

In summary, the person is looking for a way to create a variable voltage power supply. They have an idea for a project and are looking for schematics or help from others. They are also looking for information on power transistors.
Bassalisk
Hello EE,

I currently have a mini project that Studiot provided me with. Project is a kind of a multi-functional tester. But I want to add another feature to that tester. That tester has a 9V DC output, which gave me an idea.

I always find myself searching for batteries and other power supplies. I have those DC adapters 24V 12V, but is there a way where I can build my own transformer, but with variable voltage outputs?

Something like from 3 6 9 12 15 ... V(DC). Does anybody have schematics for this? What will I need to make this happen? I have some old DC adapters, old VCR , I even have old AC 220V to AC 24V...

I will probably have to use a lot of Safety fuses and all.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If your aim is to make variable Voltage power supply, then using ICs such as LM317 may be lot easier.
However, If you can find the right core and then its not such a difficult thing to wind your own multi-tap transformer, especially when the power rating is moderate.

Hmm I googled those terms that you mentioned, and I found some circuits. I find them very complicated. I will stick to building just tester thing. Thank you.

Can't remember if your list included any power transistors but you could use one to build a simple step down from 12 volts to 9.
(you need a power transistor for this)

Alternatively 7809 fixed voltage regulators are common as muck and much cheaper. That would give you a four component step down box.

The 2N39xx transistors you have would survive the project supply being upped to 12 volts.

Studiot said:
Can't remember if your list included any power transistors but you could use one to build a simple step down from 12 volts to 9.
(you need a power transistor for this)

Alternatively 7809 fixed voltage regulators are common as muck and much cheaper. That would give you a four component step down box.

The 2N39xx transistors you have would survive the project supply being upped to 12 volts.

I see, I asked this mainly because I needed a power supply for that multi-tester anyway. I only learned power transistors in theory and I must admit I didn't understand them very well. Nor IGBTs. I will have to dig up some old DC adapters. Tomorrow I will be buying ceramic capacitors for that project along with some potentiometers. I will let you know at which stage I am.

Thank you.

7809 fixed voltage regulators

Is this Zener diode? Or something more complex?

The 78XX series are complex devices containing voltage reference, amplifier, power transistor etc.

The provide a fixed positive output voltage (ie they are not variable without special extra circuitry).
there is a whole family, the main ones are
7805 = 5 volts
7809 = 9 volts
7812 = 12 volts
7815 = 15 volts

There are several encapsulations for different currents from 0.1 amps to 1 amp.

There is a corresponding series of negative regs the 79xx series

Google is your friend.

If you look up the LM317 suggested by I_am_learning, there's a reference schematic for an adjustable voltage power supply:
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM317.html

You can also use the LM1084 if you're looking for a beefier supply (5A output), however, you'll need to attach a correspondingly beefy heat sink to deal with all the heat (being linear regulators, the current input is basically the same as the current output--the voltage difference, I*Vdiff, is then all dissipated across the regulator). It's pricier, but the bigger TO-3 metal can package is probably worth it for either of these.

Note that the difference between input and output voltages (the drop out voltage) is 1.2V on both (again, if i recall correctly).

These are not merely Zeners (you can find simplified schematics online, IIRC) but help regulate the voltage output throughout its current range, and some also provide features like short-circuit cut-off and transient suppression.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use the LM1084 if you're looking for a beefier supply (5A output),

Hey man, the OP is talking about adapting a simple wall wart to replace a PP3 battery.

Studiot said:
The 78XX series are complex devices containing voltage reference, amplifier, power transistor etc.

The provide a fixed positive output voltage (ie they are not variable without special extra circuitry).
there is a whole family, the main ones are
7805 = 5 volts
7809 = 9 volts
7812 = 12 volts
7815 = 15 volts

There are several encapsulations for different currents from 0.1 amps to 1 amp.

There is a corresponding series of negative regs the 79xx series

Google is your friend.

Thank you. I will sure check them out. I am going tomorrow to a local electronic store. Maybe they will have them.

One more thing Studiot. Since this is still AC currents in the background we are talking about, will something bad happen if I accidentally short circuit that 9V DC voltage regulated source? Will the filter capacitor blow or something?

MATLABdude said:
If you look up the LM317 suggested by I_am_learning, there's a reference schematic for an adjustable voltage power supply:
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM317.html

You can also use the LM1084 if you're looking for a beefier supply (5A output), however, you'll need to attach a correspondingly beefy heat sink to deal with all the heat (being linear regulators, the current input is basically the same as the current output--the voltage difference, I*Vdiff, is then all dissipated across the regulator). It's pricier, but the bigger TO-3 metal can package is probably worth it for either of these.

Note that the difference between input and output voltages (the drop out voltage) is 1.2V on both (again, if i recall correctly).

These are not merely Zeners (you can find simplified schematics online, IIRC) but help regulate the voltage output throughout its current range, and some also provide features like short-circuit cut-off and transient suppression.

Originally I was interned just to regulate a stable 9V, but the circuit you provided me with looks very simple. I might just add that to my project ! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
These regulators have short, thermal and safe operating area (if you have come across this) protection.

More modern ones have lower 'dropout' whcih means the difference between input and output.

The 7809 will just work with q 12 volt supply, some will take a 24 volt input - ask your supplier there are many manufacturers of these.

Studiot said:
Hey man, the OP is talking about adapting a simple wall wart to replace a PP3 battery.

More power! <Tim Taylor Grunt>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewDqsszXi8

What could possibly go wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9Xk0Lln5Y

MATLABdude said:
More power! <Tim Taylor Grunt>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewDqsszXi8

What could possibly go wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9Xk0Lln5Y

hahahahahahahahah I literally CRIED ahahahahahhahahah

Studiot said:
These regulators have short, thermal and safe operating area (if you have come across this) protection.

More modern ones have lower 'dropout' whcih means the difference between input and output.

The 7809 will just work with q 12 volt supply, some will take a 24 volt input - ask your supplier there are many manufacturers of these.

I will ask them about it. Very looking forward to starting this. Thank you!:wink:

Related to Build 220V AC Transformer for Variable DC Outputs

1. How can I build a 220V AC transformer for variable DC outputs?

To build a 220V AC transformer for variable DC outputs, you will need to have a thorough understanding of electrical principles and equipment, as well as access to the necessary materials and tools. It is recommended to consult a professional or reference guides to ensure proper safety and functionality of the transformer.

2. What materials do I need to build a 220V AC transformer?

The materials needed to build a 220V AC transformer include a transformer core, copper wire, insulation material, a power source (such as a wall outlet), and a rectifier circuit. The exact materials and specifications will depend on your specific transformer design and intended use.

3. Can I use any type of wire for the transformer?

No, it is important to use specific types and sizes of wire for the transformer. Typically, copper wire is used due to its high conductivity. The wire gauge (thickness) will also depend on the transformer's power requirements. Consult a reference guide or professional for guidance on the appropriate wire to use.

4. How do I vary the DC output of the transformer?

The DC output of the transformer can be varied by adjusting the number of windings in each coil of the transformer. This can be achieved by using a variable resistor or potentiometer in series with the primary or secondary winding of the transformer. The exact method will depend on your transformer design.

5. What safety precautions should I take when building a 220V AC transformer?

Building a 220V AC transformer can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to work with caution, wearing appropriate protective gear and following proper wiring and insulation techniques. It is also recommended to test the transformer with a multimeter before use to ensure proper functionality and avoid electrical hazards.