Buckyball Interference, classical/quantum border?

In summary, Markus Arndt's 1999 paper showed that single buckyballs fired at a diffraction grating exhibited quantum interference. The experiment used molecules with a velocity of 220 meters per second, traveling approximately 1 meter to the target. However, if the rate at which the molecules were fired is increased, eventually the molecules will interact with each other and/or the environment, causing the interference pattern to disappear. This could be easily observed by increasing the density of the molecule stream and observing when the interference pattern begins to blur. However, it may be difficult to predict exactly when this "quantum-classical" transition will occur.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In '99, Markus Arndt published his paper in which single buckyballs (primarily C60 molecules) were fired at a diffraction grating and quantum interference was found. Arndt's experiment used single molecules that had a velocity of roughly 220 meters per second. The molecules traveled roughly 1 meter to the target.

Now imagine that the rate at which these molecules were fired at the diffraction grating was slowly increased such that instead of just one molecule being in the apparatus at a time, 2, then 3, then many more would actually be moving through the apparatus at any moment. For example, if the molecules were shot out at a rate of 220,000 moelcules per second, the molecules would be 1 mm apart and there would be roughly 1000 molecules transiting through the apparatus at once. One could then imaging even closer spacing between molecules, spacing so close, the molecules might even begin interacting.

At some point, I would think the molecules would be so close that they would interact with each other and/or you might even be able to see a thin stream of them. As the molecules got closer and closer together, is there a possibility that they would stop behaving as quantum particles and start acting like classical particles (ie: the diffraction pattern would disappear)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q_Goest said:
At some point, I would think the molecules would be so close that they would interact with each other and/or you might even be able to see a thin stream of them. As the molecules got closer and closer together, is there a possibility that they would stop behaving as quantum particles and start acting like classical particles (ie: the diffraction pattern would disappear)?

Why would you think so ? After all, you can have light show interference without having it to be "counted as photons" but where you can "see a thin stream of light".

Of course, it might be that the specific interaction of the buckyballs makes them decohere, or makes the interference not work in the same way as without it, but I wouldn't consider that as some kind of indication of a "quantum-classical" transition. Just that the experimental setup which was conceived for individual buckyballs is now perturbed by an extra interaction that wasn't initially taken into account (and was negligible).

Hi vanesch,
I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that when these molecules interact, either with other molecules or something in the environment, the interference pattern will disappear. Take for example, an expanding cloud or thick stream of molecules. I wouldn't expect gasses such as air for example, to produce an interference pattern. I'd expect air molecules to act as classical particles if they are directed at a diffraction grating. That is, if an air hose is used to direct air at a diffraction grating, one would detect two, independent jets as opposed to an interference pattern because they are constantly bumping into one another as they traverse the distance from the air hose, through the diffraction grating, to some point of detection.

Similarly, I'd expect C60 molecules would do the same thing as we increase the density of the stream. We could increase that stream density by only increasing the rate as if the molecules were in a single file, or we could increase also the breadth of the stream so it's more like shooting molecules from an air hose.

Thanks for any help in trying to understand this... Luckily I'll never be taking a final exam on any of this - it's too late for me!

Q_Goest said:
I'd expect air molecules to act as classical particles if they are directed at a diffraction grating. That is, if an air hose is used to direct air at a diffraction grating, one would detect two, independent jets as opposed to an interference pattern because they are constantly bumping into one another as they traverse the distance from the air hose, through the diffraction grating, to some point of detection.

Actually, if the air molecules are still bumping into one another before, "during" and a bit after they pass a grating, then I'd expect them not even to show up as two jets! If their interaction is so strong as to be able to change significantly their "trajectory", there's no point in expecting two separated jets afterwards either, but only some bump.

It might of course be that there is a level of interaction which can blur already the expected single-particle interference pattern, without completely blurring the two-jet picture.

vanesch said:
It might of course be that there is a level of interaction which can blur already the expected single-particle interference pattern, without completely blurring the two-jet picture.
Thanks vanesch. Yes, that's really what I'm wondering. It almost seems like an easy experiment to do, just increase the number of molecules being sent through the experimental apparatus till we see the interference pattern begin to disappear.

But I'd assume there is some ability to predict under what conditions that 'blur' should occur. Maybe not so easy?

Related to Buckyball Interference, classical/quantum border?

1. What is a Buckyball Interference and how does it relate to the classical/quantum border?

A Buckyball Interference refers to an experiment where buckyball molecules, which are composed of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a spherical shape, are sent through a double-slit apparatus. This experiment demonstrates the wave-like behavior of buckyballs and blurs the boundary between classical and quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Buckyball Interference experiment challenge our understanding of classical and quantum mechanics?

The Buckyball Interference experiment challenges our understanding of classical and quantum mechanics because it shows that even large, macroscopic objects can exhibit quantum behaviors, blurring the line between the two theories. This goes against the traditional understanding that quantum mechanics only applies to microscopic particles.

3. What are the implications of the Buckyball Interference for future technologies?

The Buckyball Interference has potential implications for future technologies such as quantum computers, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics. This experiment shows that even larger objects can exhibit quantum behaviors, which could lead to the development of more advanced and powerful quantum technologies.

4. What are some potential applications of the Buckyball Interference in other fields of science?

The Buckyball Interference experiment has potential applications in other fields of science, such as biology and medicine. It could be used to study the wave-like behavior of larger biological molecules and potentially lead to new drug delivery methods or medical imaging techniques.

5. Can the Buckyball Interference be explained by either classical or quantum mechanics alone?

No, the Buckyball Interference cannot be fully explained by either classical or quantum mechanics alone. It requires a combination of both theories to fully understand the behavior of buckyballs in this experiment. This highlights the need for a unified theory that can bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics.