Buckling Load of Simply Supported Beam + Midpoint Transverse Spring

In summary, the conversation is about finding the buckling load for a beam with a spring at the midpoint and pinned and roller supports. The problem is split into two parts and solved using boundary conditions. However, the resulting linear system does not have a solution for B, C, and D, leading to the realization that the problem has been set up incorrectly. Upon further analysis, it is determined that the spring affects the symmetric buckling modes, pushing them to higher values of P. The final solution for the critical load, P, lacks a k term and may require a relationship between the beam's stiffness and the spring's stiffness.
TheFerruccio
Alright, I took a while setting this problem up for you guys, because I am absolutely stumped and have hit a brick wall and have nowhere else to turn for assistance. Please excuse the shoddy diagram. I made it from scratch to try to illustrate the problem better.

Homework Statement

Find the buckling load exactly.

Homework Equations

Here is the diagram.
yirpNxP.png

The beam has a length L, spring is at midpoint. Left support is pinned (no moment). Right support has rollers. The beam is simply supported. The stiffness of the beam is EI. The spring has a stiffness k.
I am supposed to calculate the maximum load P that can occur before the system becomes unstable (buckles).

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the problem into two parts, yielding two differential equations for the vertical displacement.

These are the variables I used for simplification:
##\lambda =\sqrt{\frac{P}{\text{E} \text{I}}}##
##b=v_1({\frac{L}{2}})##
1st: Left of the spring.
Differential equation:
##\frac{P v(x)}{\text{E} \text{I}}+v''(x)=\frac{b k x}{2 \text{E}
\text{I}}##
Solution:
##v_1(x)=A \cos (\lambda x)+\frac{b k x}{2 P}+B \sin (\lambda x)##

2nd: Right of the spring.
Differential Equation:
##\frac{P v(x)}{\text{E} \text{I}}+v''(x)=\frac{b k (L-x)}{2
\text{E} \text{I}}##
Solution:
##v_2(x)=\frac{b k (L-x)}{2 P}+C \cos (\lambda x)+D \sin (\lambda x)##

Now, I apply boundary conditions!
I have 4 unknowns to solve for, so I need 4 boundary conditions.

BC 1: Displacement at left is 0, so A = 0.
BC 2: Displacement at right is 0, so
##C \cos (\lambda L)+D \sin (\lambda L) = 0##
BC 3: Displacements match at L/2, so
##B \sin \left(\frac{\lambda L}{2}\right)=C \cos
\left(\frac{\lambda L}{2}\right)+D \sin \left(\frac{\lambda
L}{2}\right)##
BC 4: Slopes match at L/2, so
##\frac{b k}{2 P}+B \lambda \cos \left(\frac{\lambda
L}{2}\right)=-\frac{b k}{2 P}-C \lambda \sin
\left(\frac{\lambda L}{2}\right)+D \lambda \cos
\left(\frac{\lambda L}{2}\right)##

Put all terms of B, C, D on left hand side, put all the remaining terms on the right hand side, and end up with an equation...

##\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & \cos (L \lambda ) & \sin (L \lambda ) \\
\sin \left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) & -\cos \left(\frac{L
\lambda }{2}\right) & -\sin \left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right)
\\
\lambda \cos \left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) & \lambda \sin
\left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) & -\lambda \cos
\left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) \\
\end{array}
\right)\left(
\begin{array}{c}
B \\
C \\
D \\
\end{array}
\right)=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
0 \\
-\frac{k b}{P} \\
\end{array}
\right)##

This is the point where I am stuck. I am not sure where to continue from here. When I attempt to solve for B, C, D, I do not get any possible solution, not even 0. I know I am setting up the problem wrong, somehow. Someone pointed out to me that the matrix on the right hand side should be all 0. That kind of makes sense to me, but I do not see where in the algebra I messed up that would result in this occurring.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I realized that there is a substitution that I can do, substituting v1(L/2) for b and recombining terms. This is my new linear system that I need to solve for[STRIKE], and, given the complexity of this problem and the propensity for people to get this involved with something, I might just pull this linear system out and post it into the linear algebra section.[/STRIKE]

##\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & \cos (L \lambda ) & \sin (L \lambda ) \\
\sin \left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) & -\cos \left(\frac{L
\lambda }{2}\right) & -\sin \left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right)
\\
\lambda \cos \left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right)+\frac{4 \sin
\left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right)}{L} & \lambda \sin
\left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) & -\lambda \cos
\left(\frac{L \lambda }{2}\right) \\
\end{array}
\right)##

Solving for P, using the above definitions, results in...

##P=\frac{(4.0575^2) \text{E} \text{I}}{L^2}##

The only problem now stems from the lack of a "k" in my buckling load. Looking over the problem, I think of the problem as behaving like this:

1: k is very small. Thus, the beam will buckle in the first mode, no problem.

2: k is very big. The beam will be compelled to buckle in the second mode.

Isn't this right? If so, then how can I say that the critical buckling load, P, lacks a k in its term? I am thinking I will need a relationship between the beam's stiffness and the spring's stiffness, but something more subtle is going on. Because, for different stiffness ratios, different buckling modes will be induced.

Last edited:
Oddly, upon further analysis of the beam itself, it seems that this might be the proper answer for the critical load. The matrix yields multiple solutions for lambda, since the characteristic equation can be expressed as a growing sinusoidal function. The zeroes of the characteristic "function" are the solutions to the characteristic equation. The values for P which correspond to possible antisymmetric buckling modes are unaffected by the spring. The values which correspond to symmetric buckling modes are affected. Even better, the symmetric modes are "pushed" to a higher P value to lesser degrees with subsequent symmetric buckling modes. This makes sense, because, with higher modes, there is less midpoint displacement, so, the spring has a smaller effect.

Can you check your results by letting k be very small, and very big, as two extreme cases to which you may know the 'standard' answer?

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. In this case, it seems that you have set up the problem correctly and have applied the appropriate boundary conditions. However, you have reached a point where the equations do not have a solution.

One possible explanation for this is that the problem may be indeterminate. This means that there may be more than one possible solution or that the solution is not unique. In this case, it may be helpful to review the assumptions and simplifications made in setting up the problem and see if any of them can be relaxed to allow for a solution.

Another possibility is that there may be an error in the equations or boundary conditions. It may be helpful to double check your calculations and see if there are any mistakes that could be causing the issue.

If you are still unable to find a solution, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or a professor who may have more experience in this type of problem. They may be able to provide some insights or suggest alternative approaches to finding a solution.

In conclusion, it is important to approach problems with patience and persistence. As a scientist, it is also important to seek help and collaborate with others when faced with challenges. With a systematic and collaborative approach, a solution can be found.

Related to Buckling Load of Simply Supported Beam + Midpoint Transverse Spring

1. What is the buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring?

The buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring is the maximum load that the beam can withstand before it buckles, or collapses. It is affected by factors such as the material properties of the beam and the spring, the dimensions of the beam, and the support conditions.

2. Why is the midpoint transverse spring important in the buckling of a simply supported beam?

The midpoint transverse spring plays a critical role in the buckling of a simply supported beam because it introduces an additional support point at the midpoint of the beam. This support point helps to distribute the load evenly and prevent the beam from buckling under a concentrated load at the ends.

3. How is the buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring calculated?

The buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring can be calculated using the Euler buckling equation, which takes into account the properties of the beam, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and modulus of elasticity, as well as the properties of the spring, such as its stiffness and position along the beam.

4. What are some common factors that can affect the buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring?

Some common factors that can affect the buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring include the material properties of the beam and the spring, the dimensions of the beam, the position of the spring along the beam, and the support conditions at the ends of the beam.

5. How can the buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring be increased?

The buckling load of a simply supported beam with a midpoint transverse spring can be increased by selecting a stiffer spring, using a stronger material for the beam, or increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam. Additionally, changing the support conditions at the ends of the beam, such as using fixed supports instead of simply supported ones, can also increase the buckling load.