Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis

In summary: So the simplest law would be such that ##f## does not depend on ##\pi_3##, i.e. ##f(x) = const##. So you are right with your conclusion.
beth92

Homework Statement

A capillary filled with water is placed in a container filled with a chemical of concentration [itex] C_{0} [/itex], measured in number of molecules per unit volume. The chemical diffuses into the capillary of water according to the following relation (where x is distance along capillary):

[itex] \frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = D \frac{\partial^{2}C}{\partial x^{2}} ~~~~ C(0,t) = C_{0} ~,~ C(x,0)=0 [/itex]

a) Find dimensions of diffusion coefficient D
b) For capillary with cross sectional area A, the number of molecules entering the capillary N in a fixed time T is measured. We can assume that there is a law relating the 5 quantities [itex] D, C_{0}, N, T, A [/itex]. Use dimensional analysis to find the general form of this law.
c) If experiments show that [itex] N [/itex] is proportional to [itex] \sqrt{T} [/itex], then give the simplest law which expresses N as a function of the 4 other quantities.

Homework Equations

Buckingham Pi theorem says that the law will have the form [itex] F(\pi_{1},\pi_{2},...) = 0 [/itex] where the [itex] \pi_{i} [/itex] are dimensionless quantities created using the 5 given physical quantities.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I calculate the dimensions of D to be L2/T

b) I calculate my dimensionless quantities as:

[itex]

\pi_{1} = N \\

\pi_{2} = A^{3}C_{0}^{2} \\

\pi_{3} = \frac{T D}{A}

[/itex]

c) This is the part I'm not sure of. What does it mean by the 'simplest' law? From the buckingham Pi theorem I get that:

[itex] N = g( A^{3}C_{0}^{2},\frac{TD}{A} ) [/itex]

Where g is some unknown function.

But I'm not sure what to do with the fact that N varies with the square root of T. Can I take that term out and say:

[itex] N = \sqrt{\frac{TD}{A}} f(A^{3}C_{0}^{2}) [/itex]

This doesn't seem right/complete to me but I can't think of anything else.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
beth92 said:
But I'm not sure what to do with the fact that N varies with the square root of T. Can I take that term out and say:

N=TDA‾‾‾f(A3C20) N = \sqrt{\frac{TD}{A}} f(A^{3}C_{0}^{2})

This doesn't seem right/complete to me but I can't think of anything else.

Yes, you can do this. If ##f## would depend on ##\pi_3##, then ##N## would not vary as ##\sqrt{T}##.

Related to Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis

1. What is Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis?

Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems based on their fundamental dimensions and units of measurement.

2. Why is Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis important in science?

Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows scientists to simplify complex physical systems and equations, and to identify key relationships between variables. It also helps to identify any missing or redundant variables in an equation.

3. How does Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis work?

Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis works by identifying the fundamental dimensions and units of measurement involved in a physical system or equation, and then combining these dimensions into dimensionless ratios called Pi terms. These Pi terms can then be used to create a dimensional equation that accurately predicts the behavior of the system.

4. What are the benefits of using Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis?

Some benefits of using Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis include: simplifying complex systems and equations, identifying key relationships between variables, identifying missing or redundant variables, and providing a framework for creating accurate predictive models.

5. In what areas of science is Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis commonly used?

Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and fluid dynamics. It can also be applied to other areas of science, such as biology and economics, to analyze complex systems and predict their behavior.