BS Aerospace Engineering or BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology?

In summary: I'm not really an engineer. There are so many different types of engineers, and I don't think that tinkering with stuff is really what an engineer does.In summary, my friend and I are considering pursuing aerospace engineering, but are worried about the demand. We think that the only way to make a good living is to get a job as an academician/professor right away after graduating. We don't want to teach for two years. We are both worried about the demand and the difficulty of the job.
carterwrangler
Hi, since I don't have money, I didn't include BS Air Transportation in my choices.

My friend and I are really confused. We are now already in college and currently taking aerospace engineering. However, it is so hard but I think we can make it (we haven't failed so far) but the problem is the future or after we graduate.

Our number one concern is the demand. What if we didn't get a job immediately? Time is gold and we don't want to wait for a very long time of waiting just to get hired. We realized that maybe half or 3/4 of the board passers just work as academician/professor for 2 years and we don't want to teach. Two years is a long time and must not be wasted and it's not our passion to teach.

He's actually planning to shift and encouraging me somehow. I have my decision, I won't shift but I would also like to encourage him to just stay in this course. He said that the only thing you can get from being an engineer is the title. Yes you have the title, but I don't think that's the only thing you can get.

I think without engineers, there would be no pilots and technicians (AMTs), am I right?

If you're an engineer and working on the field, can you also fix or do some physical works while building an airplane? or are we just going to stand up there, command those technicians (AMTs) what to do and watch them?

Give us enough idea and that would be a great help!

Explain the ff. and give a comparison between BSAE (engineering) & BSAMT (aircraft maintenance technolgy) in terms of:
Salary
Experience
Stability
Opportunity
Demand
Difficulty while working
Competition within the job

And which country has the most demand/available jobs for aeronautical engineers and AMTs?

Any opinions will be accepted except the rude ones. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
An engineer and a technician are two very different careers. First engineers are designers and they manage the technicians who are basically do upkeep and fix systems that engineers designed. Secondly your flexibility in industries and careers are much better as an engineer. If you don't like aerospace engineering you could switch to management or some other related engineering discipline fairly easy. As a technician you will only be able to work on the industry doing the job you are trained to do ( skilled labor). I've never heard of a BS in aircraft technician, where are you from? I highly recommend just going with aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering.

Yes, engineering is difficult, but I think it is definitely doable as long as you stick with it.

The salary of an engineer will typically be much higher than that of a tech and an engineer has mobility in a company so that they can work their way up higher.

Working as a tech, you will be doing manual labor on aircraft for problems that are well-understood (for the most part) and it would be fairly repetitive; as an engineer, you are constantly confronted with new challenging problems on a regular basis and your work may be balanced between hands-on and office work depending on where you work.

The workforce will ALWAYS need engineers because people need to design systems while many manual tasks can be automated. Do companies really need techs with bachelors degrees? I have friends that do a lot of aircraft maintenance but they just have standard A&P licensing.

I think if you're debating pursuing a more hands-on type of a field that is still related to what your are doing, switch to mechanical engineering. An ME can work as an AE for the most part but employers sometimes see AE's as being to specialized if they apply for ME positions. The coursework for ME's is typically less "mathy" and more hands-on and a lot more doors are open after graduation. I am pursuing an ME degree with a concentration on propulsion. I'm a very shop-oriented person and I love the stuff I'm learning. The hardest part is getting through all of the calculus and physics; just stick through it if you can.

Aerospace (and related) engineering jobs are spread out in the US, but are highly concentrated in states such as California. Techs are probably anywhere you find these types of companies, airports, launch sites, etc. I even worked in the middle of nowhere at a crop dusting company for a while, and they had A&P licensed mechanics there.

Aerospace engineering and technical work can be a boom/bust sort of work. The industry is renown for skilled worker shortages as well as mass layoffs. This is true regardless of whether you are a technician or an engineer.

I faced this problem when I was in college. I love tinkering with computers and radios. I wanted to do that for work. And then I realized that technical work, no matter how good I might be at it, won't pay many bills. My job stability and future prospects wouldn't be all that good. Instead, I made a choice to get an Electrical Engineering degree and then focus on the hands-on aspects of the job.

I haven't regretted that decision. Too many engineers get their degrees and have no idea how anything is really done in the shop. I knew. But many others who graduated with me didn't. Some didn't even know how to properly set up a trigger on an oscilloscope.

I suggest that if you have the educational foundation to stand on, that you go for the engineering degree.

I would like to provide some information and perspective on the differences between a BS in Aerospace Engineering and a BS in Aircraft Maintenance Technology.

Firstly, both fields are important and play crucial roles in the aviation industry. While engineers design and develop aircraft, maintenance technicians ensure that they are safe and functioning properly. Both are necessary for the success of the industry.

In terms of salary, it is difficult to compare as it depends on various factors such as location, company, and experience. However, in general, engineers tend to have higher salaries due to the specialized knowledge and skills required for their work.

In terms of experience, both fields offer opportunities for hands-on experience. Engineers may have more opportunities to work on new projects and designs, while maintenance technicians may have more experience with the physical maintenance and repair of aircraft.

In terms of stability, both fields are expected to have a steady demand in the future. However, it is important to note that the demand for engineers may fluctuate depending on the state of the aviation industry and the economy.

Opportunities for advancement may also differ between the two fields. Engineers may have more opportunities for career growth and may be able to move into managerial or leadership roles, while maintenance technicians may have more limited options for advancement.

In terms of demand, both fields are expected to have a strong demand in the future. However, it is important to note that the demand for engineers may vary depending on the country or region, as some countries may have a larger aviation industry than others.

In terms of difficulty while working, both fields require a high level of technical knowledge and skills. Engineers may face challenges in designing and developing complex aircraft, while maintenance technicians may face challenges in identifying and fixing issues with aircraft.

Competition within the job market may also differ between the two fields. Engineers may face more competition due to the specialized nature of their work, while maintenance technicians may have less competition in the job market.

Regarding which country has the most demand for aeronautical engineers and AMTs, it is difficult to say as it can vary depending on the state of the aviation industry. However, countries with a strong aviation industry, such as the United States, United Kingdom, and China, may have more demand for both engineers and maintenance technicians.

In conclusion, both BS in Aerospace Engineering and BS in Aircraft Maintenance Technology are important and have their own unique roles in the aviation industry. It is important to carefully consider your interests, skills, and career goals when choosing between

Related to BS Aerospace Engineering or BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology?

1. What is the difference between BS Aerospace Engineering and BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology?

BS Aerospace Engineering is a degree program that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. It covers a broad range of topics including aerodynamics, materials science, and propulsion systems. On the other hand, BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology is a degree program that specifically trains students in the maintenance and repair of aircraft. It covers topics such as aircraft systems, avionics, and troubleshooting techniques.

2. What career opportunities are available for graduates of BS Aerospace Engineering and BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology?

Graduates of BS Aerospace Engineering can pursue careers as aerospace engineers, aircraft designers, or research scientists in the aerospace industry. They can also work in government agencies, defense companies, or research institutions. Graduates of BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology can work as aircraft technicians, mechanics, or inspectors in the aviation industry. They can also find employment in airlines, aircraft manufacturers, or maintenance and repair organizations.

3. Is one degree program more challenging than the other?

Both BS Aerospace Engineering and BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology require a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. BS Aerospace Engineering may involve more complex theoretical concepts and mathematical calculations, while BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology may involve more hands-on technical skills.

4. What are the necessary skills for success in these degree programs?

Students pursuing BS Aerospace Engineering should have a strong aptitude for math and physics, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They should also have good communication and teamwork skills, as they may often work in teams on projects. Students pursuing BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology should have a strong mechanical aptitude, attention to detail, and good problem-solving skills. They should also have the ability to work with their hands and possess strong manual dexterity.

5. Can these degree programs lead to a career in the space industry?

Yes, both BS Aerospace Engineering and BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology can lead to a career in the space industry. Graduates of BS Aerospace Engineering can work on the design and development of spacecraft and related systems, while graduates of BS Aircraft Maintenance Technology can work on maintaining and repairing spacecraft and launch vehicles. They can also work in research and development for companies or government agencies involved in space exploration.