Brownian motion demonstration in class

In summary, Einstein evaluated the size of an atom by analyzing a brownian motion with the assumption that the size of molecules is a factor. To demonstrate this concept, the speaker plans to put powders with different sizes of grains on a vibrator and observe the motion of a ball. They expect that the bigger the grains, the slower the ball will move due to inelastic collisions. However, this simulation may not accurately represent Brownian motion, as the dynamics scale differently in a granular bed. The speaker hopes to use this simulation to show Einstein's motivation for linking Brownian motion to the size of atoms.
ddddd28
Hello,
Einstein evaluated the size of an atom by analysing a brownian motion, assuming the size of the molecules is a a factor. In order to demonstrate this concept, I want to put some powders with different sizes of grains on a vibrator and watch how a ball moves. What is the expected result? The bigger the grains, the slower the ball moves? and why? and how is it settled with einstein's formula to find the atom's size?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ball will move mainly from the contact to the vibrator I guess, and if you analyze its flight path then inelastic collisions will still make everything different from thermal motion. I don't see how you would get a realistic simulation of Brownian motion that way.

I think you didn't understand the simulation. There is no flight, I put the ball gently and watch its motion.
As you can see in that video: Random Force & Brownian Motion - Sixty Symbols

My question is what happens to the ball motion when I change the size of the grains.

That is about what I expected, and I'm not sure how much you get from a quantitative analysis. Qualitatively it is fine, of course.
ddddd28 said:
My question is what happens to the ball motion when I change the size of the grains.
What do you expect?

I expect that the brownian motion will be shorter (the average distance the ball travels) as the grains become bigger. However, I have no good explanation. I want to show the simulation to demonstrate Einstein's motivation to think that there is a connection between the brownian motion and the size of atom(grain).

Think about the momentum the ball gets in each collision, and how frequent collisions are.

ddddd28 said:
I expect that the brownian motion will be shorter (the average distance the ball travels) as the grains become bigger. However, I have no good explanation. I want to show the simulation to demonstrate Einstein's motivation to think that there is a connection between the brownian motion and the size of atom(grain).

It's not a simple question to answer- the granular bed is a very nonlinear system and only approximates Brownian motion in a limiting sense.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep17279

If I read that article correctly, the dynamics scale as (particle diameter)^1/8.

Likes mfb

Related to Brownian motion demonstration in class

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with smaller particles in the fluid.

2. How can Brownian motion be demonstrated in class?

Brownian motion can be demonstrated by placing tiny particles, such as pollen or smoke, in a container of water and observing their erratic movement under a microscope.

3. What is the significance of Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of atoms and molecules, and it is also used to study diffusion and other physical processes.

4. Can Brownian motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Brownian motion can be observed in everyday life, such as watching dust particles in a room or seeing the movement of cream in a cup of coffee.

5. How does temperature affect Brownian motion?

Higher temperatures increase the speed of Brownian motion because the particles in the fluid have more kinetic energy and collide more frequently, causing more rapid and erratic movement.