Bridge Hands: 5/6/2 Card Combination

• MHB
  • Thread starter Raerin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the number of bridge hands that include 5 cards of one suit, 6 cards of a second suit and 2 cards of a third suit is 172,262,376. However, when considering all possible combinations of suits, the number is 4,134,297,024.
Raerin
A bridge hand consists of 13 cards. How many bridge hands include 5 cards of one suit, 6 cards of a second suit and 2 cards of a third suit?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What if the question asked instead:

How many bridge hands include 5 cards of hearts, 6 cards of spades and 2 cards of diamonds?

Wold you be able answer that?

MarkFL said:
What if the question asked instead:

How many bridge hands include 5 cards of hearts, 6 cards of spades and 2 cards of diamonds?

Wold you be able answer that?

13C5 * 13C6 * 13C2 = 172,262,376

If my question is the same as this one then my textbook's answer key is wrong. The textbook says the answer is 4 xxx, xxx, xxx

Raerin said:
13C5 * 13C6 * 13C2?

If my question is the same as this one then my textbook's answer key is wrong.

Yes, good! :D That is correct, but this is for one specific combination of suits only.

Now you want to make it general. You want to multiply this by the number of ways to choose 3 suits from 4.

MarkFL said:
Yes, good! :D That is correct, but this is for one specific combination of suits only.

Now you want to make it general. You want to multiply this by the number of ways to choose 3 suits from 4.

I realized after I left that we need to find the permutations, not the combinations regarding the four suits, since order matters in this case because there are a different number of each suit. Hence, the number $N$ of the described bridge hands is:

\(\displaystyle N=\frac{4!}{(4-3)!}\cdot{13 \choose 5}\cdot{13 \choose 6}\cdot{13 \choose 2}=4134297024\)

Related to Bridge Hands: 5/6/2 Card Combination

1. What is a 5/6/2 card combination in bridge hands?

A 5/6/2 card combination in bridge hands refers to the distribution of cards in a player's hand, which includes five cards in one suit, six cards in another suit, and two cards in a third suit. This type of hand is considered to be unbalanced and can present challenges for players in terms of bidding and playing strategies.

2. How does a 5/6/2 card combination affect bidding in bridge?

A 5/6/2 card combination can make it difficult for players to accurately assess their hand's strength and communicate it to their partner during the bidding process. The unbalanced distribution of cards can also make it challenging to determine which suit to bid or how high to bid.

3. Is a 5/6/2 card combination considered a good or bad hand in bridge?

A 5/6/2 card combination is generally considered to be a weaker hand in bridge, as it lacks a strong long suit and has a limited number of high cards. However, the value of a hand also depends on the bidding and the partnership's playing style.

4. What are some recommended strategies for playing a 5/6/2 card combination in bridge?

Players with a 5/6/2 card combination should focus on playing in the six-card suit, as it is likely to be their longest suit and has the potential to win more tricks. They should also be cautious in bidding and avoid overbidding, as their hand may not have enough strength to support a high bid.

5. Can a 5/6/2 card combination still win in a bridge game?

Yes, a 5/6/2 card combination can still win in a bridge game with the right bidding and playing strategies. This type of hand may require more careful planning and execution, but it is still possible to win tricks and even the game with a 5/6/2 card combination.