Breit-Rabi Formula Derivation for j=1/2

In summary, the Breit-Rabi equation describes the hyperfine and Zeeman splitting of energy levels in an applied magnetic field. To derive this equation for the 1S_1/2 state of Hydrogen, perturbation theory is used with a basis of |m_s,m_L> states. The reason for diagonalizing a 2x2 matrix is because of degenerate perturbation theory, and the states used in this process are determined by the conservation of the total angular momentum projection, m_F, m_J, and m_I. This is always a good quantum number in any regime.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Derive the Breit-Rabi equation in the case that the quantum number j is equal to 1/2, specifically the 1S_1/2 state of Hydrogen. This is the equation describing hyper-fine and Zeeman splitting of the energy levels in an applied magnetic field.

Homework Equations

We are given the hyperfine Hamiltonian, and told that it will involve diagonalizing a 2x2 matrix. We are told to use perturbation theory with a basis |S,L,m_s,m_l>, denoted as |m_s,m_L>.

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that much of the information is outlined in this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeman_effect

What I don't understand is, why will this only involve a 2x2 matrix. Looking at the above Wikipedia page, the way that the Hamiltonian's matrix elements are found are (in |m_s,m_L> notation):
| <+-|H|+-> <+-|H|-+> |
| <-+|H|+-> <-+|H|-+> |

Why are states with m_s = m_L = 1/2 or -1/2 used also; i.e. states like |++> and |- ->? I see the following text that makes me think it has to do with conservation of F number, but I thought that this was not a good quantum number in the high-field regime.

To solve this system, we note that at all times, the total angular momentum projection
30d264a2078cf866054efcbc9bbfd18f.png
will be conserved. Furthermore, since
9b0bb399a2c0c4952d9155afb32aec30.png
between states
88b026720ed19a356102e4cdcef07698.png
will change between only
fc031872d2dba1d452ab1144dc6f61e7.png
. Therefore, we can define a good basis as:

Last edited by a moderator:
The projections, m_F, m_J, m_I are always good quantum number in any regime. The reason for diagonalizing the 2x2 matrix is because this is degenerate perturbation theory.

Related to Breit-Rabi Formula Derivation for j=1/2

1. What is the Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2?

The Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2 is a mathematical equation used to describe the energy levels of atoms with a spin of 1/2 in a magnetic field. It takes into account both the electron spin and nuclear spin to accurately predict the energy levels.

2. How is the Breit-Rabi formula derived for j=1/2?

The Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2 is derived from the Schrodinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. The derivation involves solving for the energy levels of the atom in a magnetic field using the spin operators for both the electron and nucleus.

3. What are the variables and constants used in the Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2?

The variables used in the Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2 include the electron spin quantum number (S), nuclear spin quantum number (I), and the strength of the magnetic field (B). The constants used are the Bohr magneton (μB) and the nuclear magneton (μN).

4. What is the significance of the Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2?

The Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2 is significant because it accurately predicts the energy levels of atoms with a spin of 1/2 in a magnetic field. This is important in understanding the behavior of atoms in various environments and has applications in fields such as atomic physics, quantum computing, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Can the Breit-Rabi formula for j=1/2 be applied to atoms with higher spin values?

Yes, the Breit-Rabi formula can be applied to atoms with higher spin values. However, the formula will need to be modified to include the appropriate spin operators for the higher spin values. The basic principles of the formula remain the same, but the calculations become more complex as the spin value increases.