Breadboard Mania: Spinning My DC Motor

• Thread starter CosB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Breadboard
In summary, the conversation revolved around using a breadboard for the second time and the goal of getting a small DC motor to spin. The person was seeking advice on how to properly wire the motor and the use of a diagram that contained a full-wave rectifier and an output capacitor. After some discussion and clarification, it was determined that the diodes were not hooked up correctly and the person made the necessary adjustments. A photo was also shared for further assistance.
CosB
This is only my second time using a breadboard, so bear with me. I have 4 resistors(black with silver stripe) and one small DC rotating motor. My goal is to get the DC motor to spin, yet I don't understand the diagram that I have including in the posting. Any advice would definitely be appreciated!

Attachments

• mms_picture (6).jpg
    mms_picture (6).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
CosB said:
This is only my second time using a breadboard, so bear with me. I have 4 resistors(black with silver stripe) and one small DC rotating motor. My goal is to get the DC motor to spin, yet I don't understand the diagram that I have including in the posting. Any advice would definitely be appreciated!

The diagram you posted has nothing to do with a motor. The symbol on the left represents an AC voltage source (like the AC Mains), the 4 diodes are a full-wave rectifier, and the output capacitor helps to smooth the ripples in the rectified output to give you a moderately smooth DC voltage.

I was told that the place where it says C(subscript)L is where I'm suppose to hook in the motor, because that is the location where both currents are flowing in the same direction( maybe I am completely wrong, which is a constant occurance lol) I guess what i should have asked was, what would this diagram look like on a breadboard.

CosB said:
I was told that the place where it says C(subscript)L is where I'm suppose to hook in the motor, because that is the location where both currents are flowing in the same direction( maybe I am completely wrong, which is a constant occurance lol) I guess what i should have asked was, what would this diagram look like on a breadboard.

Well, the output capacitor has a mostly DC voltage on it, so you could hook your DC motor in parallel with it to power it. What is the output voltage? Does it say in your breadboard kit? Is there a 12V transformer and the rectifier as a building block in your breadboard kit? Can you post a picture of what all this looks like?

Yes I can post a picture of everything. For my assignment, all i have to use is one small DC motor, 4 diodes, solderless bb, then just extra enameled copper wire.

As for the 12V transformer as a building block in my bb, that i am not sure of.

Sorry if i seem like i don't have a grasp on the wiring, I am a first year physics student in college so this is brand spanking new to me lol

Attachments

• mms_picture (10).jpg
    mms_picture (10).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 439
The diode bridge (yes, those are diodes, not resistors that are black with sliver stripes) are not hooked correctly. The silver stripes are what is called the cathode end of the diode. The cathodes in the schematic (not the pointy end) are pointing in more or less the same direction. In other words, no diode in the schematic points west at all. They all point in an easterly direction. Your breadboard is not wired this way.

Averagesupernova said:
The diode bridge (yes, those are diodes, not resistors that are black with sliver stripes) are not hooked correctly. The silver stripes are what is called the cathode end of the diode. The cathodes in the schematic (not the pointy end) are pointing in more or less the same direction. In other words, no diode in the schematic points west at all. They all point in an easterly direction. Your breadboard is not wired this way.

Hey, i actually caught the diode mistake right after i posted the picture! But yes, i have flipped them all to be pointing in an easterly direction now. Glad you saw it and pointed it out!

After fixing up the diode direction, here is what i have. (note) the pink wire in the middle is just a reference for where ill be placing a 1-10kOhm resistor. The upper right hand corner shows 2 wires going out of the picture which are attached to a DC motor. The other 2 wires exiting the pic to the left are going to my power source. Please let me me know if i should correct anything (if you can't see it, ill try to get another photo)

Attachments

• mms_picture (9).jpg
    mms_picture (9).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 399

Related to Breadboard Mania: Spinning My DC Motor

1. What is the purpose of a breadboard in this experiment?

The breadboard is used as a platform to connect and test electrical components without the need for soldering. It allows for easy and temporary connections, making it ideal for prototyping circuits.

2. How does the DC motor spin on the breadboard?

The DC motor is connected to the breadboard using jumper wires, which act as the electrical connections. The motor is then powered by a battery connected to the breadboard, causing it to spin.

3. Can I use any DC motor for this experiment?

Yes, as long as the motor is compatible with the breadboard and can be powered by the same voltage as the battery used. However, the size and power of the motor may affect the speed and stability of the spinning.

4. What other components do I need for this experiment?

In addition to the breadboard and DC motor, you will need a battery, jumper wires, and a power source (such as a battery pack or wall adapter). You may also want to use a switch to control the power to the motor.

5. How can I troubleshoot if the DC motor is not spinning?

First, make sure all connections are secure and the motor is properly connected to the breadboard. Check that the battery is fully charged and the correct voltage for the motor. If the motor still does not spin, try using a different motor or power source to determine if the issue is with the components. You can also refer to the manufacturer's instructions for troubleshooting tips specific to your motor.