Box sliding down an inclined plane

In summary: You just solved for the net force in step 6.In summary, the box, weighing 2kg, travels a distance of 6.13m/s along the flat ground before it stops due to the force of friction, with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.50. The box's acceleration is 1.88m/s^2, and the net force acting on it is 10N.
berbek16

Homework Statement

A 2kg box is at the top of an inclined plane that is 10m long. The inclined plane makes an angle of 30° with the ground. The μk of the ramp is 0.36 and the μk of the flat ground at the end of the ramp is 0.50. How far does the box travel along the flat ground until it stops?

I'm not quite sure what to do after finding the acceleration, but I think you need to find the final velocity of the box when it finishes going down the ramp? I can't seem to figure out what to do past this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Fg=mg
Fg=2kg(10m/s^2)
Fg=20N

2.Fgx=mgsinθ
Fgx=2kg(10m/s^2)sin30°
Fgx=10 N

3. Fgy=mgcosθ
Fgy=2kg(10m/s^2)cos30°
Fgy=17.32N

4.a=g(sinθ-μkcosθ)
a=10m/s^2(sin30°-0.36cos30°)
a=1.88m/s^2

5.vf^2=vi^2 +2ad
Vf^2=(0m/s)^2 +2(1.88m/s^2)(10m)
Vf=6.13m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
berbek16 said:
I'm not quite sure what to do after finding the acceleration, but I think you need to find the final velocity of the box when it finishes going down the ramp?
Sounds good.
I can't seem to figure out what to do past this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Figure out the new acceleration of the box, once it starts sliding on the flat ground.

Figure out the new acceleration of the box, once it starts sliding on the flat ground.[/QUOTE]

How would you find this? Would you use a=F(net)m? If yes, how would you find the applied force?

berbek16 said:
Would you use a=F(net)m?
I assume you mean a = F(net)/m. But yes.
If yes, how would you find the applied force?
What force acts on the box as it slides across the flat ground?

Friction?
So on the flat surface you find the force of friction?
FFk=μk*FN
FFk=0.50*20N
FFk=10N
How would you find the applied force using this though?
With this doesn't the formula a=F(net)/m still leave two variables?

berbek16 said:
Friction?
So on the flat surface you find the force of friction?
FFk=μk*FN
FFk=0.50*20N
FFk=10N
Right.
How would you find the applied force using this though?
There's no 'applied force'. Friction is the only (horizontal) force acting.
With this doesn't the formula a=F(net)/m still leave two variables?
No. You know the mass and the net force.

Related to Box sliding down an inclined plane

What is the concept of a "box sliding down an inclined plane"?

The concept of a box sliding down an inclined plane is a basic physics problem that involves the motion of an object on a ramp or slope. The box is typically assumed to be sliding without friction, and the goal is to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the box as it moves down the slope.

What factors affect the motion of a box sliding down an inclined plane?

The motion of a box sliding down an inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the mass of the box, the coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you calculate the acceleration of a box sliding down an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a box sliding down an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

What is the difference between a box sliding down an inclined plane and a box sliding on a horizontal surface?

The main difference between a box sliding down an inclined plane and a box sliding on a horizontal surface is the presence of an external force. On a horizontal surface, the box will only accelerate if a force is applied to it, while on an inclined plane, the force of gravity is constantly acting on the box, causing it to accelerate down the slope.

How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of a box sliding down?

The angle of the incline has a significant impact on the motion of a box sliding down. As the angle increases, the acceleration of the box also increases, resulting in a faster motion down the slope. At a certain angle, known as the critical angle, the box will begin to slide without friction, making the motion easier to calculate.