Box diagram calculation (Kaon mixing)

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the box diagram for Kaon mixing by following the "CP Violation" book. The individual is having trouble getting equation (B.12) after arriving at equation (B.8). They mention getting terms with high orders of mW and checking the integral over Feynman parameter twice. They then ask if the substitution in (B.10) was done correctly. The other person clarifies that x_\alpha is defined as m_\alpha^2/m_W^2 and that the book is not wrong.
Natthawin Cho
I am trying to calculate box diagram of Kaon mixing by follow the "CP Violation" book.

Now, I arrived at equation (B.8) and I have problem with getting equation (B.12).

[tex]F(x_\alpha,x_\beta)=\dfrac{1}{(1-x_\alpha)(1-x_\beta)}(\dfrac{7x_\alpha x_\beta}{4}-1)+\dfrac{x_\alpha^2lnx_\alpha}{(x_\beta-x_\alpha)(1-x_\alpha)^2}(1-2x_\beta+\dfrac{x_\alpha x_\beta}{4})+\dfrac{x_\beta^2lnx_\beta}{(x_\alpha-x_\beta)(1-x_\beta)^2}(1-2x_\alpha+\dfrac{x_\alpha x_\beta}{4})[/tex]

I got a lot of terms with high order of mW (mW2, mW4, mW6, ...) while there is no mW term in the book.

I checked the integral over Feynman parameter twice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make sure to do the substitution in (B.10)?

## x_\alpha \equiv \dfrac{m_\alpha^2}{m_W^2} ##

Last edited:
dukwon said:
Did you make sure to do the substitution in (B.10)?

## x_\alpha \equiv \dfrac{m_\alpha}{m_W} ##
In the book is [tex]x_\alpha\equiv\dfrac{m_\alpha^2}{m_W^2}[/tex] I used this one. The book is wrong?

No, my bad. The powers of 2 are indeed there.

Related to Box diagram calculation (Kaon mixing)

1. What is a box diagram calculation?

A box diagram calculation is a method used in theoretical physics to calculate the probability of particle interactions, specifically in the context of kaon mixing. It involves the use of Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory to calculate the amplitudes of various possible particle interactions.

2. Why is the box diagram calculation important in kaon mixing?

Kaon mixing is a phenomenon in particle physics where neutral kaons can oscillate between their matter and antimatter states. The box diagram calculation is important in understanding this process and predicting the rates at which it occurs, which can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature.

3. How is the box diagram calculation performed?

The box diagram calculation involves breaking down the kaon mixing process into individual particle interactions, represented by Feynman diagrams. These diagrams are then evaluated using perturbation theory, which involves expanding the calculations in terms of a small coupling constant and summing over all possible interactions.

4. What are the challenges of performing a box diagram calculation?

One of the main challenges of performing a box diagram calculation is dealing with the large number of possible particle interactions and the complex mathematical equations involved. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation can be affected by factors such as the uncertainty in the values of particle masses and coupling constants.

5. How are the results of a box diagram calculation used in scientific research?

The results of a box diagram calculation can be compared with experimental data to test the validity of theoretical models and to make predictions for future experiments. They also provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature and can help guide the development of new theories and experiments in particle physics.