Bounding Argument for Comparison Test

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of using the Comparison Test to show that a series converges. The goal is to prove the convergence of the series $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi x)$ where $0 \leq x \leq 1$. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the proof, as the terms being summed are not always positive. The suggestion is made to show absolute convergence instead, using the inequality $\frac{|sinx|}{n^3} \leq \frac{1}{n^3}$ and the Comparison Test.
Sai-
I have the sum,
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi x) \text{, where }0 \leq x \leq 1$$
I have to show that the series converges, so I'm going to use the Comparison Test.
$$ \text{If }0 \leq a_n \leq b_n \text{ then}$$$$\text{If }\sum b_n \text{ converges then }\sum a_n \text{ must converges.}$$
Applying the Comparison Test, I know I must show that,
$$0 \leq \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi x) \leq \frac{1}{n^3} \text{, where }0 \leq x \leq 1$$
(This is hard part), Since we know that x is between 0 and 1, I think we can bound it.
$$0 \leq \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi (0)) \leq \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi (1)) \leq \frac{1}{n^3}$$
Since 0 times anything is 0, and 1 times anything is 1, we get
$$ 0 \leq \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(0) \leq \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi ) \leq \frac{1}{n^3}$$
Since sine of 0 is 0, we get
$$ 0 \leq 0 \leq \frac{1}{n^{3}}\sin(n \pi ) \leq \frac{1}{n^3}$$
And since sine of n times pi alternates between sine of 1 pi and 2pi, sine equals 0.
$$ 0 \leq 0 \leq 0 \leq \frac{1}{n^3}$$
And since this holds true, and we know that 1 divided by n cubed converges due to the p-series, the sum must therefore converge.

I feel like this isn't correct, because if x = 1/2 and n = 3, we get sine of 3pi/2, which equals -1 and then this falls apart. If possible can someone nudge me in the right direction? Much thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed the term you are summing are not always positive, so your proof is incorrect (your argument about ## \sin(n\pi x) ## is not justified, sine is not an increasing function)

Instead, try to show that your series is absolutely convergent.

Basis of proof:
[itex]0\le \frac{|sinx|}{n^3} \le \frac{1}{n^3}[/itex]

wabbit said:
Indeed the term you are summing are not always positive, so your proof is incorrect (your argument about ## \sin(n\pi x) ## is not justified, sine is not an increasing function)

Instead, try to show that your series is absolutely convergent.

I didn't even think about about absolute convergence, since ratio and root test failed. I think I can take it from here, I just got to show that it is absolutely convergent using the comparison test and then that will be it. Much Thanks!

Related to Bounding Argument for Comparison Test

What is the Bounding Argument for Comparison Test?

The Bounding Argument for Comparison Test is a mathematical tool used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known series with known convergence properties. It is commonly used in calculus and real analysis.

How is the Bounding Argument for Comparison Test used?

The Bounding Argument for Comparison Test involves finding a known series that is either greater than or less than the given series and using its convergence properties to determine the convergence or divergence of the given series.

What is the difference between the Bounding Argument for Comparison Test and the Comparison Test?

The Bounding Argument for Comparison Test is a variation of the Comparison Test, where the known series used for comparison acts as an upper or lower bound for the given series. This allows for a more simplified and straightforward method of determining convergence or divergence.

When should the Bounding Argument for Comparison Test be used?

The Bounding Argument for Comparison Test should be used when the given series is difficult to evaluate or when it is not possible to find a known series to directly compare it to. It is also useful when trying to determine the convergence or divergence of a series with alternating signs.

What are the limitations of the Bounding Argument for Comparison Test?

The Bounding Argument for Comparison Test can only be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, it cannot provide the actual value of the series. Additionally, it may not work for all series and may require multiple known series for comparison if the given series is complex.