Bounded Function on Set S: Proving $|f(z)|\le1$ for All $z\in S$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Markov2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounded
In summary: If not, I'll try to explain it.One question: Do you know about the Phragmén-Lindelöf principle (look it up in Wikipedia, if you're not familiar with the name)? If so, this is just a special case since \(e^{\sqrt{x}}\leq e^{\sqrt{|z|}}\). If not, I'll try to explain it.No, I'm not familiar with this principle. Can you explain it to me?Sure. The Phragmén-Lindelöf principle is a generalization of the maximum-modulos principle. It states that if a function $f$ is holomorphic on a region $D$ (in this case, $D=S
Markov2
Consider the set $S=\left\{ z\in \mathbb{C}:\text{Re}(z)>0,\text{ }\arg (z)\in \left( -\dfrac{\pi }{4},\dfrac{\pi }{4} \right) \right\},$ and a function $f\in H(S)\cap C(\overline S)$ so that for each $z\in\partial S$ is $|f(z)|\le1$ and for all $z=x+yi\in S$ is $|f(z)|\le e^{\sqrt x}.$ Prove that for all $z\in S$ is $|f(z)|\le1.$

Any ideas? Don't know how to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
インテグラルキラー;488 said:
Consider the set $S=\left\{ z\in \mathbb{C}:\text{Re}(z)>0,\text{ }\arg (z)\in \left( -\dfrac{\pi }{4},\dfrac{\pi }{4} \right) \right\},$ and a function $f\in H(S)\cap C(\overline S)$ so that for each $z\in\partial S$ is $|f(z)|\le1$ and for all $z=x+yi\in S$ is $|f(z)|\le e^{\sqrt x}.$ Prove that for all $z\in S$ is $|f(z)|\le1.$

Well, what are some of your initial thoughts.

Don't know really, I wish I knew how to use the arg stuff and the closure stuff.

Markov said:

The second inequality is entirely not necessary (unless you meant to ask something else). As the problem stands it is entirely trivial consequence of the maximum-modulos principle. If by approaching the boundary the modulos stays bounded by $1$ then the function everywhere inside the domain must also stay bounded by $1$.

ThePerfectHacker said:
The second inequality is entirely not necessary (unless you meant to ask something else). As the problem stands it is entirely trivial consequence of the maximum-modulos principle. If by approaching the boundary the modulos stays bounded by $1$ then the function everywhere inside the domain must also stay bounded by $1$.

This is not true: Take \(f(z)=e^{z^2}\) then \(f=1 on \partial S\) but it's unbounded. This is an application of the Phragmén-Lindelöf theorem, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good text with a proof.

Jose27 said:
This is not true: Take \(f(z)=e^{z^2}\) then \(f=1 on \partial S\) but it's unbounded. This is an application of the Phragmén-Lindelöf theorem, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good text with a proof.

I think my mistake is interesting enough to explain. This is what I did. As $\limsup_{z\to \zeta} | f(z) | \leq 1$ for all $\zeta \in \partial S$, I concluded that (by MM) that it follows that $|f(z)|\leq 1$. But I ignored an important case! Here, $\partial S$ includes $\infty$ also (if we view the boundary as belonging to the Riemann sphere topology). Thus, that condition is not true for all points on $\partial S$.

Okay, what's actually the solution? I'm confused now. :(

Markov said:
Okay, what's actually the solution? I'm confused now. :(

Hold on Markov. I will try to get back to you. I am really sorry because I have limited time and writing out these solutions takes up time.
It is not like I do not want to help you as much as I can it is sometimes hard to.

I understand, I'll wait you then!

TPH, I really need help on this one, don't know how to solve it yet. :(

One question: Do you know about the Phragmén-Lindelöf principle (look it up in Wikipedia, if you're not familiar with the name)? If so, this is just a special case since \(e^{\sqrt{x}}\leq e^{\sqrt{|z|}}\).

Related to Bounded Function on Set S: Proving $|f(z)|\le1$ for All $z\in S$

What does it mean for F to be bounded?

When we say that a function F is bounded, it means that there exists a finite number M such that the absolute value of F(x) is always less than or equal to M for all values of x.

How do you prove that a function is bounded?

To prove that a function F is bounded, we need to show that there exists a finite number M such that the absolute value of F(x) is always less than or equal to M for all values of x. This can be done by using the limit definition of a limit and showing that the limit of F(x) as x approaches infinity is finite.

What are some real-life examples of bounded functions?

Real-life examples of bounded functions include the height of a person, the temperature outside, and the number of hours of daylight in a day. These all have a finite limit and do not increase/decrease without bound.

What is the difference between a bounded and unbounded function?

A bounded function has a finite limit or range, while an unbounded function does not have a finite limit or range. In other words, an unbounded function can increase or decrease without bound, while a bounded function has a maximum or minimum value.

How is boundedness related to continuity?

Boundedness is related to continuity because a function that is continuous at a point must also be bounded at that point. This is because a continuous function does not have any jumps or breaks in its graph, so it cannot increase or decrease without bound at a single point.