Boundary Value Problem: Does it Have a Solution?

In summary: Oh yes, that's right... (Nod) Thanks! (Smirk)In summary, the given boundary value problem does not have a solution because the solutions of the characteristic equation are $\lambda=\pm 2i$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to check if the following boundary value problem has a solution

$\left\{\begin{matrix}
-u_{xx}-4u=\sin {2x}, x \in (0,\pi)\\
u(0)=u(\pi)=0
\end{matrix}\right.$

I have thought the following:

We consider the corresponding homogeneous equation $-u_{xx}-4u=0$.

The characteristic polynomial is $-\lambda^2-4=0 \Rightarrow \lambda^2=-4$, contradiction.

Thus the given boundary value problem does not have a solution.

Is is it right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to check if the following boundary value problem has a solution

$\left\{\begin{matrix}
-u_{xx}-4u=\sin {2x}, x \in (0,\pi)\\
u(0)=u(\pi)=0
\end{matrix}\right.$

I have thought the following:

We consider the corresponding homogeneous equation $-u_{xx}-4u=0$.

The characteristic polynomial is $-\lambda^2-4=0 \Rightarrow \lambda^2=-4$, contradiction.

Thus the given boundary value problem does not have a solution.

Is is it right? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! ;)

Isn't $\sin 2x$ a solution of the homogeneous equation? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! ;)

Isn't $\sin 2x$ a solution of the homogeneous equation? (Wondering)

Yes, that's right. (Nod) So since the homogeneous equation has a non-trivial solution, we deduce that the given boundary value problem has no solution. Right?

evinda said:
Yes, that's right. (Nod) So since the homogeneous equation has a non-trivial solution, we deduce that the given boundary value problem has no solution. Right?

Not really... (Thinking)

Since the solutions of the characteristic equation are $\lambda=\pm 2i$, it follows that the full solution of the homogeneous equation is:
$$u_h = c_1 e^{2ix} + c_2 e^{-2ix}$$
Or alternatively:
$$u_h = A\sin 2x + B\cos 2x$$

Now we can use for instance the Method of undetermined coefficients or Variation of Parameters to find a particular solution... (Thinking)

... or we can throw the equation at Wolfram... (Emo)

I like Serena said:
Not really... (Thinking)

Since the solutions of the characteristic equation are $\lambda=\pm 2i$, it follows that the full solution of the homogeneous equation is:
$$u_h = c_1 e^{2ix} + c_2 e^{-2ix}$$
Or alternatively:
$$u_h = A\sin 2x + B\cos 2x$$

Now we can use for instance the Method of undetermined coefficients or Variation of Parameters to find a particular solution... (Thinking)

Oh yes, that's right... (Nod) Thanks! (Smirk)
I like Serena said:
... or we can throw the equation at Wolfram... (Emo)

(Blush)

Related to Boundary Value Problem: Does it Have a Solution?

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation or a system of differential equations subject to certain constraints or conditions at the boundaries of the domain.

2. How is a boundary value problem different from an initial value problem?

In an initial value problem, the solution is determined by specifying the initial conditions at a single point in the domain. In a boundary value problem, the solution is determined by specifying conditions at multiple points along the boundaries of the domain.

3. Does every boundary value problem have a unique solution?

No, not every boundary value problem has a unique solution. Some boundary value problems may have multiple solutions, while others may have no solution at all.

4. What techniques are used to solve boundary value problems?

There are various techniques used to solve boundary value problems, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.

5. Why are boundary value problems important in science and engineering?

Boundary value problems are important in science and engineering because they help us model and understand real-world phenomena and systems. They can also be used to find optimal solutions for problems in various fields such as physics, biology, and economics.