Boundary-value analysis (Software Engineering)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the second question of a homework assignment which involves black-box testing and boundary value analysis. The person is unsure how to approach the problem and is asking for help. The conversation also mentions the possibility of combining equivalence partitioning with boundary value analysis to solve the problem. There is also confusion about the specific requirements for the test cases and the person suggests clarifying with the teacher. A suggested approach for testing the input field for the month of birth is also provided.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem is attached. I'm concerned with the second question.

Homework Equations

Black-box testing/Boundary value analysis.

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, am I correct in calculating 10^9 + 6 + 26 + 11 + 61 + 8 + 8 = 1000000120 number of possible inputs?

For the second part (which is what this thread is about), I watched this video:

but, I'm still confused as to how to do this particular problem.

I'm thinking that I need to make similar partitions and then use the boundaries of each partition which, in this case, consists of:

1) 0 and 9
2) 0 and 5
3) 0 and 25
4) 0 and 10
5) 0 and 60
6) F and A
7) Unsatisfactory and Excellent

Is this correct and complete for boundary-value analysis? The way the question is written (the “three tests for each input field part” part) makes me think that this involves equivalence partitioning in conjunction with boundary-value analysis and not boundary-value analysis alone. Does this mean I need to include a value within (and strictly excluding the boundaries of) each range and is it in fact combining equivalence partitioning with boundary-value analysis? Also, I'm very confused as to what is being asked as of “format incompatible” onward.

Any help in solving this problem completely would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm horrible with statistic, so I'll move onto the second question.

You probably want to clarify this questions with your teacher. Does he/she want three test for each input field? Or does he/she want 9, three for regular input, three for boundary, and three for format?

If I read the question correctly, I believe the question asked for test cases for the input. It looks like your partition is done for the output.

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but it looks like the question is just asking you for test cases for failing condition. I'll take the month of birth as an example. You know the number of valid month is 1 - 12. So how can I test that the program work correctly? Test to make sure the test case pass (i.e. 1 - 12), and test for cases when it would fail (anything other than 1 - 12).

Testing input field for month of birth:
Partition 1: negative number to 0
Partition 2: 1 - 12 (valid number)
Partition 3: 13+

You know anything in partition 1 and partition 3 have to fail. So you can pick any number (e.g. -3 and 45) in those two partitions to make sure the test case fail. Then pick any number in partition 2 to make sure the test case pass.

Now, you want to test boundary condition, which is the smallest or largest number in which the test case fails and the smallest and largest number in which the test case passes. So in the month input field, you would want to test the following:
Pass: 1, 12
Fail: 0, 13

Now formatting. You want to test to see if there's a format you have to conform to. So suppose the month only accept 2 digits, then if you have "1", would the program be able to read that? For formatting, I would test: 01, 001, a, 1 3

You would have to use this logic for all your input.

Am I making any kind of sense?

Related to Boundary-value analysis (Software Engineering)

What is boundary-value analysis?

Boundary-value analysis is a software testing technique used to identify errors at the boundaries of input values. It involves selecting test cases at the minimum, maximum, and just beyond the minimum and maximum values of an input variable.

Why is boundary-value analysis important?

Boundary-value analysis is important because it helps to identify potential errors or bugs in the software. By testing at the boundaries of input values, it provides a more thorough and comprehensive testing approach, increasing the likelihood of finding errors and improving the overall quality of the software.

How is boundary-value analysis different from equivalence partitioning?

Boundary-value analysis and equivalence partitioning are both testing techniques used to identify errors in software. However, boundary-value analysis focuses on testing at the boundaries of input values, while equivalence partitioning divides the input values into groups and tests a representative value from each group.

What are the benefits of using boundary-value analysis?

Some of the benefits of using boundary-value analysis include: identifying errors or bugs at the edges of input values, providing a more thorough and comprehensive testing approach, and helping to improve the overall quality of the software.

When should boundary-value analysis be used?

Boundary-value analysis should be used during the testing phase of software development. It is especially useful for testing numerical or range-based input values, as well as inputs with defined minimum and maximum values.