Boundary points of subsets when viewed with the subset topology

In summary: Thanks a lot!It's much clear now.There is something that still I can't understand: The set \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,2] is closed and bounded (as a subset of \mathbb{Q} ). So doesn't that mean that it is compact?I already read that compact implies complete, but on the other hand doesn't the Heine-Borel theorem apply?Now that I think better, that theorem talks about closed and bounded subsets of \mathbb{R}^n , it's different with \mathbb{Q} because it's not complete, right? It even isn't closed as a subset of \math
Damidami
Hi! I have this two related questions:

(1) I was thinking that [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] as a subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] is a closed set (all its points are boundary points).

But when I think of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] not like a subset, but like a topological space (with the inherited subspace topology), are all it's points still boundary points? I think not, as there ir no "exterior" points now. So are the only clopen sets of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] the empty set and the full [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] set now?

(2) The other question: I saw this example in the book Counterexamples in Analysis:

A function continuous on a closed interval and not bounded there (and therefor, not uniformly continuous there) (Note: the domain is a subset of [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex])
[itex] f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 - 2} \ \ \ 0 \leq x \leq 2 [/itex]

It confuses me because of the theorem that a continuous function over a compact set is uniformly continuous. I don't know in what part of the proof it was used that the compact set has to be also a complete space.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Damidami said:
Hi! I have this two related questions:

(1) I was thinking that [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] as a subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] is a closed set (all its points are boundary points).

No, [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is certainly NOT a closed subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Sure, all the points of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] are boundary points, but they are not ALL the boundary points! Indeed, every irrational number is also a boundary point of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Specifically, the boundary of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. And the closure of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is also [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].
But when I think of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] not like a subset, but like a topological space (with the inherited subspace topology), are all it's points still boundary points? I think not, as there ir no "exterior" points now.

Indeed, [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is closed in itself.

So are the only clopen sets of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] the empty set and the full [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] set now?

No, certainly not! There are many clopen sets in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]. For example

[tex]]-\pi,\pi[\cap \mathbb{Q}=[-\pi,\pi]\cap \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

is also clopen.

(2) The other question: I saw this example in the book Counterexamples in Analysis:

A function continuous on a closed interval and not bounded there (and therefor, not uniformly continuous there) (Note: the domain is a subset of [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex])
[itex] f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 - 2} \ \ \ 0 \leq x \leq 2 [/itex]

It confuses me because of the theorem that a continuous function over a compact set is uniformly continuous.

First of all, the domain of our function is [itex][0,2]\cap \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. This is NOT compact. We can see this because compact => complete. Since the above set is not complete, it can also not be compact!

I don't know in what part of the proof it was used that the compact set has to be also a complete space.

A compact set in a metric space is ALWAYS complete!

Thanks a lot!
It's much clear now.

There is something that still I can't understand: The set [itex] \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,2] [/itex] is closed and bounded (as a subset of [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex]). So doesn't that mean that it is compact?

I already read that compact implies complete, but on the other hand doesn't the Heine-Borel theorem apply?

Now that I think better, that theorem talks about closed and bounded subsets of [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex], it's different with [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex] because it's not complete, right? It even isn't closed as a subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex].

Damidami said:
Thanks a lot!
It's much clear now.

There is something that still I can't understand: The set [itex] \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,2] [/itex] is closed and bounded (as a subset of [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex]). So doesn't that mean that it is compact?

I already read that compact implies complete, but on the other hand doesn't the Heine-Borel theorem apply?

Now that I think better, that theorem talks about closed and bounded subsets of [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex], it's different with [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex] because it's not complete, right? It even isn't closed as a subset of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex].

Indeed, the theorem talks about subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. Your set is not closed and bounded as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], so we cannot conclude compactness.

Damidami said:
Thanks a lot!
It's much clear now.

You can check that [itex] \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,2] [/itex] is not compact, since, e.g., in any compact metric space , every sequence has a convergent subsequence. Take, then,
any sequence that "wants to" converge to , e.g., √2, and see that it cannot have a
convergent subsequence. And Heine-Borel does not apply, since the set is not closed (subset of ℝn): closed (as Micromass also pointed out) , since [itex] \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,2] [/itex] does not contain --among many other--the limit point √2 ; remember that closed subsets of a set contain all their limit points.

Related to Boundary points of subsets when viewed with the subset topology

1. What are boundary points of a subset?

Boundary points of a subset are the points that belong to both the subset and its complement. In other words, they are the points that lie on the boundary between the subset and its surrounding points.

2. How are boundary points different from interior points?

Unlike interior points, which only belong to the subset, boundary points belong to both the subset and its complement. Additionally, every neighborhood of a boundary point contains points from both the subset and its complement, whereas a neighborhood of an interior point only contains points from the subset.

3. Can a subset have multiple boundary points?

Yes, a subset can have multiple boundary points. This is especially common for subsets of infinite sets, where there may be an infinite number of boundary points.

4. How does the subset topology affect the boundary points of a subset?

The subset topology considers the topology of the larger space when determining the boundary points of a subset. This means that the boundary points of a subset may be different when viewed with the subset topology compared to the topology of the entire space.

5. How can I determine the boundary points of a subset when viewed with the subset topology?

To determine the boundary points of a subset when viewed with the subset topology, you can use the definition of a boundary point and the definition of the subset topology. You will need to consider both the points that belong to the subset and its complement, as well as the open sets in the subset topology.