Boundary of closed sets (Spivak's C. on M.)

In summary: The next step is to find a point not on U. Can you do this? Hi Sr Estroncio! :smile:Yes, I can find a point not on U by taking any point not on U and moving it to the left, or right, of (a_1,...,a_n). So, (a_1,...,a_n) is not in our original rectangle anymore, but now (a_1,...,a_n) is contained in the new rectangle that was created by moving (a_1,...,a_n) to the left, or right, of (a_1,...,a
SrEstroncio

Homework Statement

I have been self studying Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, and in chapter 1, section 2 (Subsets of Euclidean Space) there's a problem in which you have to find the interior, exterior and boundary points of the set
[tex]
U=\{x\in R^n : |x|\leq 1\}.
[/tex]
While it is evident that
[tex]
\{x\in R^n : |x|\lt 1\},
\{x\in R^n : |x|= 1\},
\{x\in R^n : |x|\gt 1\}
[/tex]
are the interior, boundary and exterior of U, in that order, I am stuck proving it. In particular, I can't quite grasp how to prove rigorously that the set [itex] \{x\in R^n : |x|= 1\} [/itex] is the boundary of U; I need to show that if [itex] x [/itex] is any point in said set, and A is any open rectangle such that [itex] x\in A [/itex], then A contains a point in U and a point not in U. If x is such that [itex] |x|=1 [/itex], then [itex] x\in U [/itex], so I know that any open rectangle [itex] A [/itex] about the point[itex] x [/itex] contains at least one point in U (namely [itex]x[/itex]), how do I know my open rectangle [itex] A [/itex] also contains points for which [itex] |x|\gt 1 [/itex]?

Homework Equations

An open rectangle in [itex] R^n [/itex] is a set of the form [itex] (a_1,b_1)\times ... \times (a_n,b_n) [/itex].
Spivak defines interior, exterior and boundary sets using open rectangles, not open balls.

The Attempt at a Solution

It is obvious that the boundary of the n-ball is the n-sphere, and most books wouldn't bother proving it, but I like to be rigorous in my proofs. I am getting stuck in the technical details (how do I know not all points in my open rectangle are equidistant from the origin?, how do I know at least one is "farther away?", that kinda stuff).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SrEstroncio! :smile:

It's good that you want to be rigorous about such a things. So let's see if I can help you prove this.

First, I would like to hear from you how Spivak defined boundary in terms of open rectangles.

The points [itex]x\in R^n [/itex] for which any open rectangle [itex] A [/itex] with [itex] x\in A [/itex] contains points in both [itex] U [/itex] and [itex] R^n - U [/itex] are said to be the boundary of U.

Last edited:
SrEstroncio said:
The points [itex]x\in R^n [/itex] for which any open rectangle [itex] A [/itex] with [itex] x\in A [/itex] contains points in both [itex] U [/itex] and [itex] R^n - U [/itex] are said to be the boundary of U.

OK, that definition is slightly uglier than I had hoped for. So we will costumize it a bit. Can you prove that we can take x the center of the rectangle?

That is, we can take

[tex]A=[a_1,b_1]\times...\times [a_n,b_n][/tex]

such that

[tex]x=(\frac{b_1-a_1}{2},...,\frac{b_n-a_n}{2})[/tex]

How should we prove such a thing? Well, we might might find a rectangle

[tex]A^\prime\subseteq A[/tex]

such that A' has the property that x is the center of the rectangle. Now, if we can prove that A' interesects U and [itex]\mathbb{R}^n\setminus U[/itex], then A also intersects these sets.

So, try to work this out in detail. This should form the first step.

Let [itex] R [/itex] be an open rectangle such that [itex] x \in R [/itex], [itex] R=(a_1,b_1)\times ... \times (a_n,b_n) [/itex]. If [itex] x=(x_1,...,x_n) [/itex], we construct an open rectangle [itex] R' [/itex] with sides smaller than [itex] 2\min{(b_i - x_i, x_i-a_i)} [/itex] for [itex]1\leq i \leq n [/itex], and centered about the point [itex] x [/itex]. By construction [itex] R' \subset R [/itex] and this construction can always be done.

To prove the set [itex] |x|=1 [/itex] is the boundary of U, I must take a point for which [itex] |x|=1 [/itex] and let R be any open rectangle containing [itex] x [/itex], I must now show that [itex] R [/itex] contains points both in [itex] U [/itex] and points which are not on [itex] U [/itex].

Last edited:
SrEstroncio said:
Let [itex] R [/itex] be an open rectangle such that [itex] x \in R [/itex], [itex] R=(a_1,b_1)\times ... \times (a_n,b_n) [/itex]. If [itex] x=(x_1,...,x_n) [/itex], we construct an open rectangle [itex] R' [/itex] with sides smaller than [itex] 2\min{(b_i - x_i, x_i-a_i)} [/itex] for [itex]1\leq i \leq n [/itex], and centered about the point [itex] x [/itex]. This construction can always be done.

Indeed, that's a nice first step. So our situation now is that we have a rectangle

[tex]]a_1,b_1[\times...\times ]a_n,b_n[[/tex]

such that

[tex]x=(\frac{b_1-a_1}{2},...,\frac{b_n-a_n}{2})[/tex]

Now we want to find a point in U. Well, an obvious choice is [itex](a_1,...,a_n)[/itex]. Can you prove that this is in U?

A slight problem however, the point [itex](a_1,...,a_n)[/itex] does not lie in our rectangle! Can you solve this?

Sorry for the inactivity, my computer decided to self-destruct under the heat.

Well, that [itex] (a_1,a_2,...,a_n) [/itex] does not lie in our rectangle centered about the point [itex] x [/itex] is not much of a problem, since said rectangle was constructed inside our original and arbitrary rectangle, not necessarily centered at [itex] x [/itex], and [itex] (a_1,a_2,...,a_n) [/itex] does lie in it.

SrEstroncio said:
Sorry for the inactivity, my computer decided to self-destruct under the heat.

Well, that [itex] (a_1,a_2,...,a_n) [/itex] does not lie in our rectangle centered about the point [itex] x [/itex] is not much of a problem, since said rectangle was constructed inside our original and arbitrary rectangle, not necessarily centered at [itex] x [/itex], and [itex] (a_1,a_2,...,a_n) [/itex] does lie in it.

Indeed, so that wouldn't pose a problem...

Related to Boundary of closed sets (Spivak's C. on M.)

1. What is the definition of a closed set?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points, meaning that if a sequence of points in the set converges to a point outside of the set, then the limit point is also included in the set.

2. How can we identify the boundary of a closed set?

The boundary of a closed set can be determined by finding all the points that are both in the set and its complement. This means that the boundary contains points that are "on the edge" of the closed set, separating it from points outside of the set.

3. Is the boundary of a closed set always a closed set?

Yes, the boundary of a closed set is always a closed set. This is because it includes all of the limit points that define the closed set, as well as any points that are "on the edge" of the set. These points are also limit points and therefore must be included in the boundary set.

4. How does the boundary of a closed set differ from the boundary of an open set?

The boundary of a closed set includes all of the limit points of the set, while the boundary of an open set only includes the points that are "on the edge" of the set. This means that the boundary of an open set may not be a closed set, as it may not contain all of its limit points.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the boundary of closed sets?

Understanding the boundary of closed sets is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, including topology, analysis, and differential equations. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science to model and solve real-world problems involving boundaries and limit points.