Boundary conditions for open and closed strings

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the terminology used for the boundary conditions of open and closed strings can be confusing. The "R sector" refers to the Ramond case and the "NS sector" refers to the Neveu-Schwarz case. For closed strings, NS-NS means both \psi^+ and \psi^- are antiperiodic, NS-R means \psi^+ is antiperiodic and \psi^- is periodic, R-NS means \psi^- is antiperiodic and \psi^+ is periodic, and R-R means both \psi^+ and \psi^- are periodic. These terms come from the names of the physicists who first proposed these boundary conditions, and they
maverick280857
Hi,

I am a bit confused about the terminology used for the boundary conditions describing open and closed strings.

For the open string,

Ramond case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = \pi, t) = \psi^-(\sigma = \pi, t)[/itex]
Neveu-Schwarz case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = \pi, t) = -\psi^-(\sigma = \pi, t)[/itex]

Question 1: Is it correct that the "R sector" refers to the Ramond case, and the "NS sector" refers to the Neveu-Schwarz case?

For the closed string,

Ramond case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = \psi^+(\sigma = \pi)[/itex], [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = \psi^-(\sigma = \pi)[/itex]

Neveu-Schwarz case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = \psi^+(\sigma = \pi)[/itex], [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = -\psi^-(\sigma = \pi)[/itex]

Question 2: So,

NS-NS means both [itex]\psi^+[/itex] and [itex]\psi^-[/itex] are antiperiodic
NS-R means [itex]\psi^+[/itex] is antiperiodic and [itex]\psi^-[/itex] is periodic
R-NS means [itex]\psi^-[/itex] is antiperiodic and [itex]\psi^+[/itex] is periodic
R-R means [itex]\psi^+[/itex] is periodic and [itex]\psi^-[/itex] is periodic?

I apologize for the triviality of these questions but the classification of the 4 sectors is confusing me a little...

I'd appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your questions regarding the terminology used for the boundary conditions of open and closed strings. I will do my best to clarify these concepts for you.

To answer your first question, yes, you are correct in your understanding that the "R sector" refers to the Ramond case and the "NS sector" refers to the Neveu-Schwarz case. These terms come from the names of the physicists who first proposed these boundary conditions, Pierre Ramond and John Neveu-Schwarz.

For your second question, you are also correct in your understanding of the different sectors for closed strings. NS-NS means that both \psi^+ and \psi^- are antiperiodic, which means they have a half-integer multiple of the fundamental frequency. NS-R means that \psi^+ is antiperiodic and \psi^- is periodic, while R-NS means that \psi^- is antiperiodic and \psi^+ is periodic. Finally, R-R means that both \psi^+ and \psi^- are periodic, meaning they have an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency.

I understand that these concepts can be confusing, but it is important to note that these boundary conditions are necessary in order to satisfy the equations of motion for the strings. The different sectors arise from the different ways in which the strings can vibrate and interact with each other.

I hope this helps to clarify the terminology and concepts for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Related to Boundary conditions for open and closed strings

1. What are boundary conditions for open and closed strings?

Boundary conditions for open and closed strings refer to the specific conditions that must be satisfied at the endpoints of a string in order for it to behave as an open or closed string. These conditions determine the allowed modes of vibration and the resulting physical properties of the string.

2. How do boundary conditions differ for open and closed strings?

The boundary conditions for open and closed strings differ in terms of the allowed modes of vibration. For open strings, the endpoints must be free to move, while for closed strings, the endpoints must be fixed. This leads to different sets of allowed modes of vibration and different physical properties for the two types of strings.

3. What is the significance of boundary conditions for open and closed strings in string theory?

Boundary conditions for open and closed strings play a crucial role in string theory, as they determine the behavior and properties of the strings. They also affect the interactions between strings and other objects, such as D-branes, in the theory.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the quantization of open and closed strings?

The boundary conditions for open and closed strings affect the quantization of the strings by dictating the allowed energy levels and modes of vibration. This leads to different spectra for open and closed strings, which have important implications for the theory.

5. Can boundary conditions for open and closed strings be modified?

Yes, boundary conditions for open and closed strings can be modified in certain scenarios, such as in the presence of D-branes. These modifications can lead to new types of strings and different physical properties, which can have significant implications for the theory.