Boundary conditions electrostatic potential

In summary, you are modelling a system with a nanosized semiconductor in 1d, inside which you want to find the electrostatic potential. Having found this, you are unsure of what boundary conditions to put on the system when it is connected to a metal on one side and to vacuum on the other.
aaaa202
I'm modelling a system with a nanosized semiconductor in 1d, inside which I want to find the electrostatic potential. Having found this I am unsure what boundary conditions to put on this, when it is connected to a metal on one side and to vacuum on the other. So far I have put that it is continuous at the metal interface (inside which it is a constant). But what about at the boundary to vacuum. I want to say that it should be simply continiuous which then gives that V(x) has a finite value, non constant, outside the semiconductor. But on the other hand this seems unphysical, since it would imply that there is a finite electric field outside the semiconductor. Should I simply put that V(x)=0 at the boundary to vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential continues into the vacuum the same as any potential does ... i.e. if you were modelling a sheet of charge with a metal on one side and a vacuum on the other how would you do it?

A perfect metal just stamps it's own potential on everything where it is. You can get a step there... a lump of metal in a vacuum is often modeled as a finite square well.

What level are you doing this at?

I am modelling the band structure of a semiconductor-metal hetero junction, by solving the Schrödinger equation in the conduction band (in the effective mass approximation), calculating the electron density and then calculating the electrostatic potential in the semiconductor using Poissons equation. This is then plugged back into the Schrödinger equation and the procedure is reiterated until a self-consistent solution is found.
When I calculate the electrostatic potential in the heterostructure I get a decay towards the vacuum edge of the semiconductor (on the right). I don't know if this is physical or if it comes from my numerical method failing. Physically I expect that if the semiconductor is large that the potential would approach a constant at the edge to vacuum. What do you think?

Attachments

• simulation.png
    simulation.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 388
Decay of what?

Sounds like the same calculation as my thesis except I did two semiconductors... I did the self-consistent calculation to include both materials.
Charges are usually strongly confined to the material - this usually translates to a barrier at the material edges with the bending happening close to the junction.
So you have vacc-metal-semi-vacc ... then I'd have modeled the outside boundaries as a step potential equal to the work function.

Related to Boundary conditions electrostatic potential

1. How do boundary conditions affect the electrostatic potential?

Boundary conditions refer to the physical constraints or limitations imposed on a system. In the case of electrostatic potential, boundary conditions determine the behavior of the electric field and the distribution of charges within a given space. Depending on the type of boundary conditions, the electrostatic potential can either be continuous or discontinuous at the boundaries.

2. What are the different types of boundary conditions for electrostatic potential?

The two main types of boundary conditions for electrostatic potential are Dirichlet and Neumann. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the electrostatic potential at the boundary, while Neumann boundary conditions specify the normal derivative of the potential at the boundary.

3. How do boundary conditions affect the calculation of electrostatic potential?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the solution to the electrostatic potential in a given system. The specified conditions at the boundaries help to narrow down the potential function and make it easier to solve using mathematical techniques such as Laplace's equation or the method of images.

4. Can boundary conditions be changed in a system?

Yes, boundary conditions can be changed in a system. In fact, changing the boundary conditions can result in different solutions to the electrostatic potential. This is particularly useful in studying the behavior of different systems and understanding the effects of different boundary conditions on the electrostatic potential.

5. How do boundary conditions for electrostatic potential relate to real-world applications?

Boundary conditions for electrostatic potential are essential in various real-world applications, such as designing electrical circuits, analyzing the behavior of conductors and insulators, and understanding the electrostatic potential of charged particles in different environments. They help scientists and engineers to model and predict the behavior of electric fields and charges in practical situations.