Bound state negative potentials into harmonic oscillator basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of matrix mechanics to solve for negative energy solutions in a given potential function. The person is trying to find a way to represent the Hamiltonian in the harmonic oscillator basis, but is facing difficulties due to the potential function being 1/sqrt(1+x^2). They are looking for ways to transform the Hamiltonian into its own operator form or use the operators from a harmonic oscillator. They also mention the use of annihilation and generation operators in the HO basis to represent p and x.
GeneralGrant
Hello readers,

Given the potential

V(x) = - 1/ sqrt(1+x^2)

I have found numerically 12 negative energy solutions

Now I want to try to solve for these using matrix mechanics

I know the matrix form of the harmonic oscillator operators X_ho, P_ho.

I believe I need to perform the task

<X | H | X> ??

to get a matrix form of H, then solve for its eigenvalues. But don't know how to use my H to get X and P operators or how to get my H into a matrix form with which to do the matrix algebra needed.

Looking around and in my books, I'm fining Matrix information and Equational information but not so much on transporting between the two(except for the HO of course which is every where and partially why i want to use it)

How does one perform perform these Bra Ket actions?
does one transform a hamiltonian into its own operator form first or can i use the operators from a Harmonic Oscillator?
Is there a way to represent this hamiltonian in the HO basis which has readily available matrix forms?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express p and x in terms of a and ##a^+##, the anihilation and generation operators in the HO basis.

I have done so for the harmonic oscillator, which is one way that i got my X and P for the HO. And have tried to use the X and P forms from the HO in my Hamiltonian in question, but because its 1/Sqrt(1+x^2) i always end up dividing by a zero for the none tri-diagonal terms.(using 1 = identity matrix)

Related to Bound state negative potentials into harmonic oscillator basis

What is a bound state negative potential?

A bound state negative potential describes a situation in which a particle is confined to a finite region due to a potential energy that is negative. This means that the particle is bound to a specific location and cannot escape.

What is a harmonic oscillator basis?

A harmonic oscillator basis is a set of functions that can be used to describe the behavior of a physical system, particularly one that has a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. The most commonly used basis for describing bound states is the harmonic oscillator basis.

How are bound state negative potentials related to the harmonic oscillator basis?

Bound state negative potentials can be expanded into a series of harmonic oscillator basis functions, which can then be used to describe the behavior of the system. This allows for a more detailed understanding of the system and its properties.

What are some examples of systems that can be described by bound state negative potentials into harmonic oscillator basis?

Bound state negative potentials into harmonic oscillator basis are commonly used to study atomic and molecular systems, as well as solid state materials such as crystals. They can also be applied to quantum mechanical systems and nuclear physics.

How is the harmonic oscillator basis useful in understanding bound state negative potentials?

The harmonic oscillator basis provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of a system with bound state negative potentials. By using this basis, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of a system and gain insight into its properties and dynamics.