Bouncing Ball Graph/Quadratic Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of parameters in the equation Y=At^2+Bt+C, where A is related to the gravitational acceleration and B and C represent the initial velocity and position, respectively. The graph posted shows the motion of a bouncing ball and the parabola is upside-down, indicating that A is negative and half of the gravitational acceleration. The conversation also clarifies a typo in the equation and the value of a as -9.8 m/s^2.
Megzzy

Homework Statement

The graph I have posted is the result of using a motion sensor above a bouncing ball.
I am asked to write a clear interpretation of the meaning of each parameter in the equation Y=At^2+Bt+C.

Homework Equations

Y=Ax^2+Bt+C
y=y0+v0t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/screenshot20110902at112.png/
I think relating the above two equations that B is the initial velocity and C is the initial position. "A" however is confusing me.
Also if C is indeed the initial position I'm not quite sure I understand why it is negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Megzzy said:

Homework Equations

Y=Ax^2+Bt+C
y=y0+v0t+1/2at^2

X in the first equation should be t. So how is A related to the parameter a ?

The ball moves under the effect of gravity - what is the value of a?

ehild

sorry didn't see that typo!

a would just be the gravitational acceleration correct? So -9.80 m/s^2?
I'm still confused as to how they relate though. Does that mean A is half that of the gravitational acceleration?

Megzzy said:
Does that mean A is half that of the gravitational acceleration?

Yes.

ehild

Alright thank you!
I'm just confused as to why it changes (shown on that graph)?

The parabola is upside-down, so the A parameter is negative (like the gravitational acceleration, which points downward) A=-9.8/2.

ehild

Related to Bouncing Ball Graph/Quadratic Formula

1. What is a bouncing ball graph?

A bouncing ball graph is a graphical representation of the height of a bouncing ball over time. It typically shows a parabolic shape as the ball bounces up and down.

2. How is the quadratic formula used in a bouncing ball graph?

The quadratic formula is used to determine the height of the bouncing ball at any given time. It takes into account the initial height of the ball, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time elapsed since the ball was dropped.

3. Why is the quadratic formula important in studying the motion of a bouncing ball?

The quadratic formula allows us to accurately predict the height of a bouncing ball at any given time, taking into account factors such as gravity and initial height. This is important in understanding the physics behind the motion of a bouncing ball and in making predictions about its future behavior.

4. Can the quadratic formula be used for other types of graphs?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve for the roots or solutions of any quadratic equation. This can be applied to various types of graphs, such as parabolas, circles, and ellipses.

5. Is the bouncing ball graph affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the shape and height of a bouncing ball graph. The presence of air resistance will cause the ball to lose energy and therefore not bounce as high as it would in a vacuum. This can be seen in a flatter or wider parabolic shape on the graph.