Bouncing ball exercise with time of contact with the surface given

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving a ball with a mass of 0.10 kg and a speed of 14 m/s falling onto a horizontal non-movable surface with a time of contact of 4.0x10-3 seconds. The objective is to calculate the speed of the ball after the bounce. The conversation delves into the concept of a perfectly elastic object and the role of the time of contact in the energy change of the ball. Ultimately, it is concluded that the time of contact does not affect the speed of the ball after the bounce due to the ball being perfectly elastic and the surface likely being a conservative system.
KayEl9
Hello. I have an exercise (not exactly homework, it's a physics contest that we are allowed to solve at home, using all possible help we can find) that goes like this:
A ball with mass m = 0,10 kg falls vertically on a horizontal non-movable solid surface. Speed of the ball just before the contact with the surface was v0=14m/s. The time of contact of the ball and the surface during the bounce was τ = 4.0x10-3.
I am to calculate the speed of the ball after the bounce. These are all information given (the only other instruction is to consider the surface, which is some kind of board, to be much more massive than the ball, and to consider the ball a perfectly elastic object).
I'm not asking for a complete solution, but I would really use some help on what to do with the time of contact with surface, as I've never seen an exercise with this given (and Internet searc didn't reveal any usable equations for this particular problem). What is the theory behind this and what equation should I use? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the energy of the ball. What does "perfectly elastic" mean?

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. So does that mean that the ball will bounce with the same speed in opposite direction, and the time of the contact that is given has no effect on this?

If the time of contact has any effect, then the velocity must be different, which means an energy change. Is this possible in the situation given?

I'm not sure. It shouldn't be if the ball is perfectly elastic. But would that mean that the time of contact is given just to confuse us? :)

EDIT: Just thinking - it says that the ball is perfectly elastic, but doesn't say anything about the surface in this regard. Could that mean that the bounce doesn't have to be perfectly elastic, although the ball is?

Last edited:
Well, if the surface is not completely elastic, they will have to specify exactly how inelastic it is - otherwise you cannot compute anything.

As given, the description specifies a conservative system, where total energy is conserved.

Thanks. So do I get it right that the ball bounces back up with the same speed, i.e., 14 m/s, and the time of contact has nothing to do with it?

Correct.

Related to Bouncing ball exercise with time of contact with the surface given

1. What is the purpose of the bouncing ball exercise?

The purpose of the bouncing ball exercise is to improve hand-eye coordination and reaction time. It also helps to strengthen the muscles in the arms and hands.

2. How long should the ball be in contact with the surface during the exercise?

The recommended time for the ball to be in contact with the surface during the exercise is between 1-2 seconds. This allows for a good balance of control and challenge.

3. Can the time of contact be adjusted for different skill levels?

Yes, the time of contact can be adjusted for different skill levels. Beginners may start with a longer time of contact, while more advanced individuals can decrease the time for a greater challenge.

4. Is it important to use a specific type of ball for this exercise?

While any ball can be used for this exercise, it is recommended to use a small and lightweight ball, such as a tennis ball. This will make it easier to control and allow for a longer time of contact with the surface.

5. How many repetitions of the bouncing ball exercise should be done?

The number of repetitions can vary depending on individual fitness levels and goals. However, it is generally recommended to start with 10-15 repetitions and gradually increase as you become more proficient in the exercise.