Boolean rings with identity can only take 2 elements?

In summary, this conversation is about a claim that there is only one boolean ring with multiplicative identity. The claim is wrong and ridiculous.
pivoxa15
Using the theorem that in any boolean ring a+a=0 for all a in boolean ring R.

Then 0 is in R. Make the multiplicative identity 1 is also in it. Therefore R can only take 0 and 1 and no more because 1+1=0. 0+0=0. 1+0=1 always. So 2 or other elements can never occur.

Physics news on Phys.org
What? That makes no sense. Mainly because you do not ask a question at all.

Ok, so '2' isn't in the ring. Why does that mean there is nothing else in the ring? There's no rule that says you can generate everything in a ring by adding 1's.

I was looking for a confirmation that my claim is correct.

So far we know 0 and 1 is in R. Take all 4 combinations of these two elements with respect to the 2 operations. So 8 additions and multiplications all together, all of which gives 0 or 1 so R contains only two elements 0 and 1. The only non trivial one is 1+1 which has to be 0 as by the theorem in the OP.

Last edited:
Your 'claim' is not only incorrect. It's ridiculous. So all rings are generated by 0 and 1? You had better add that to the axiom list, because its not there yet, last I heard.

Here is a meta-answer that shows the claim to be silly. If there is a unique boolean ring, why did you ask about boolean ringS?

Remember I am talking about a boolean wring with multiplicative identity.

I am claiming there is only one unique boolean ring with multiplicative identity.

Or with even this consideration taken into account, it is not correct? If so why?

If the boolean ring dosen't have multiplicative identity than other combinations may be possible.

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
Using the theorem that in any boolean ring a+a=0 for all a in boolean ring R.

Then 0 is in R. Make the multiplicative identity 1 is also in it. Therefore R can only take 0 and 1 and no more because 1+1=0. 0+0=0. 1+0=1 always. So 2 or other elements can never occur.
I don't see why those prevent other elements. What about a set {0, 1, a, b} with operation tables:
addition:
0 1 a b
0 0 1 a b
1 1 0 b a
a a b 0 1
b b a 1 0

multiplication
0 1 a b
0 0 0 0 0
1 0 1 a b
a 0 a b 1
b 0 b 1 a

pivoxa15 said:
Remember I am talking about a boolean wring with multiplicative identity.

and?

I am claiming there is only one unique boolean ring with multiplicative identity.

but that is patently silly.

Just write down something to produce a counter example. It is trivial to produce such example. Hell, diagonal matrices with 0s and 1s on the diagonals gives infinitely many counter examples without having to think at all.

Related to Boolean rings with identity can only take 2 elements?

1. What is a Boolean ring with identity?

A Boolean ring with identity is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two binary operations (usually denoted as + and *) and an identity element (usually denoted as 0 and 1). The operations follow specific rules and the elements must satisfy certain properties, such as the distributive law and the existence of inverses.

2. Why can a Boolean ring with identity only take 2 elements?

This is because the two elements, 0 and 1, serve as the additive and multiplicative identities respectively. In other words, any element in the Boolean ring can be written as a combination of these two elements. Adding any other elements would result in redundancy and violate the properties of a Boolean ring with identity.

3. How are Boolean rings with identity used in computer science?

Boolean rings with identity are used in computer science to represent and manipulate logical values, often in programming languages and digital circuits. They are also used in Boolean algebra, which is a fundamental concept in computer science and is used in the design and analysis of algorithms and data structures.

4. Can a Boolean ring with identity have more than two operations?

No, a Boolean ring with identity can only have two operations, addition (+) and multiplication (*). This is because the properties of a Boolean ring with identity are defined in terms of these two operations, and adding more operations would result in a different mathematical structure.

5. How do Boolean rings with identity differ from other types of rings?

Boolean rings with identity are a special type of ring where the elements can only take on two values, 0 and 1. In other types of rings, the elements can take on any value from a specified set, such as integers or real numbers. Additionally, the operations and properties of Boolean rings with identity are unique to this type of ring, making them distinct from other rings.