Boolean Algebra optimization question

In summary, the conversation is about a boolean "law" that can optimize equations using a k-map. The person is wondering if there is a way to optimize the equation using just boolean algebra, and they eventually find the solution in the "consensus theorem." There are multiple forms of this theorem, as seen in a book and on Wikipedia.
FocusedWolf
Hi,

This is a question about a boolean "law" type behavior I've noticed in my homework a couple of times.

Basically i can't find a boolean algebra law that permits this optimization short of using a k-map.

bool.jpg

So I'm just wondering if theirs some way to optimize the one equation using just boolean algebra in order to get the second one (the output of the k-map).

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm i found it in the solutions for that homework.

It's called the "consensus theorem"

where:

xy' + xz' +y'z =xz' + y'z

Had a feeling it was some obscure identity/law lol

Last edited:
OK apparently theirs two or more forms: xy + x'z + yz = xy + x'z

found this one in a book, and matched wikipedia.

Related to Boolean Algebra optimization question

1. What is Boolean algebra optimization?

Boolean algebra optimization is a method used to simplify and optimize logical expressions in Boolean algebra. It involves using various rules and techniques to manipulate logical expressions in order to reduce their complexity and improve their efficiency.

2. Why is Boolean algebra optimization important?

Boolean algebra optimization is important because it allows us to simplify and optimize complex logical expressions, making them easier to understand and more efficient to use in digital circuits and computer programming. This can save time and resources in designing and implementing logical systems.

3. What are the basic rules of Boolean algebra optimization?

The basic rules of Boolean algebra optimization include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as De Morgan's laws and the absorption and complementation laws. These rules can be used to manipulate logical expressions and simplify them.

4. How is Boolean algebra optimization applied in real-world situations?

Boolean algebra optimization is commonly used in digital logic design, computer programming, and circuit analysis. It is also used in database query optimization and in the simplification of logical expressions in mathematics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to Boolean algebra optimization?

While Boolean algebra optimization can greatly simplify and optimize logical expressions, it cannot solve all problems. There are certain logical expressions that cannot be simplified any further, and some expressions may become more complex after optimization. It is important to carefully analyze the original expression and the optimized version to ensure accuracy.