Books on PDEs: Recommendations for Rigorous Learning

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Pdes
In summary, the conversation centers around recommendations for books on solving PDEs, with a preference for more rigorous texts. The recommended books include Strauss, Evans, Renardy, and Taylor, with a suggestion to start with Strauss and then move on to Taylor. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of Taylor's book and the need for some knowledge of differential geometry. Additional recommendations are made for Folland and John's books.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
I'm wondering if people have recommendations on this topic. It's something I've been meaning to tackle for a long time now. I'm interested in learning how to solve PDEs as well as learn about uniqueness theorems and such. The more rigorous the book is, the better.

I already have good experience with ODEs and I'm pretty comfortable with them. I also have some experience already with BVPs and Fourier series.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good intro book seems to be Strauss: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470054565/?tag=pfamazon01-20

More rigorous books (and not exactly meant for a first course) are Evans and Renardy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821849743/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387004440/?tag=pfamazon01-20

These books are heavy in functional analysis stuff however. Although Evans has appendices containing everything you need to know to read the book.

The bible on PDE is in my opinion Taylor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441970541/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (and the subsequent two volumes)

Strauss is a book that you should be able to read right now. The other three books I mentioned are very mathy, so I kind of doubt they will be much use to you as an electrical engineer (that said, you like math soooo...). As far as I know, none of the books really go into numerical issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thank you for the plentiful recommendations.

Math gives you wings, so there's no reason not to be serious about it, regardless of the chosen discipline.

I'll read a bit of the Strauss book and then a bit of the Taylor book; then I'll decide which author I enjoy more and read that one.

Zondrina said:
Thank you for the plentiful recommendations.

Math gives you wings, so there's no reason not to be serious about it, regardless of the chosen discipline.

I'll read a bit of the Strauss book and then a bit of the Taylor book; then I'll decide which author I enjoy more and read that one.

Taylor is extremely mathy. It does PDE's directly on manifolds, so I recommend to know a bit of differential geometry beforehand. So don't be surprised if you find Taylor too much to handle.

R136a1 said:
Taylor is extremely mathy. It does PDE's directly on manifolds, so I recommend to know a bit of differential geometry beforehand. So don't be surprised if you find Taylor too much to handle.

I've read calculus on manifolds by Spivak, so I do know some basic stuff. It was a pretty short book though, would it be enough information to tackle Taylor?

Here's a link to the PDF: http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/fawaz/482/Books/Spivak_Calculus%20on%20manifolds.pdf

Zondrina said:
I've read calculus on manifolds by Spivak, so I do know some basic stuff. It was a pretty short book though, would it be enough information to tackle Taylor?

I doubt it, but you should try anyway. If it works out then you found a very good book, otherwise you know what you need to work at.

Here's a link to the PDF:

You sure this is legal? You might want to remove it before the mentors see it :-p
But I'm very acquainted with spivak's calc on manifolds, it's a very decent book but it doesn't go very far into differential geometry.

R136a1 said:
I doubt it, but you should try anyway. If it works out then you found a very good book, otherwise you know what you need to work at.

You sure this is legal? You might want to remove it before the mentors see it :-p
But I'm very acquainted with spivak's calc on manifolds, it's a very decent book but it doesn't go very far into differential geometry.

If it's uploaded on a .edu website, I don't think there should be any issues as it's public educational knowledge.

I'll give Taylor a go, if I'm not comfortable after the first chapter or so I'll switch to Strauss and see how it feels.

Zondrina said:
If it's uploaded on a .edu website, I don't think there should be any issues as it's public educational knowledge.

I'll give Taylor a go, if I'm not comfortable after the first chapter or so I'll switch to Strauss and see how it feels.

Good luck!

Related to Books on PDEs: Recommendations for Rigorous Learning

What are PDEs?

PDEs, or partial differential equations, are mathematical equations that involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, from heat transfer to fluid dynamics.

Why are PDEs important?

PDEs are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting complex systems in the physical world. They are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

What are some recommended books for learning about PDEs?

Some highly recommended books on PDEs include "Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence C. Evans, "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss, and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow.

Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand books on PDEs?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations, is necessary to understand books on PDEs. These books assume a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and may be difficult for those without a strong background to comprehend.

Are there any online resources for learning about PDEs?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about PDEs, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseware, and Coursera.