Book or Course on How to Analyze Scientific Studies?

In summary: Yes, peer review does play an important role in legitimizing research. However, it is not the only factor that determines the legitimacy of a study. Additionally, a study may be accepted as legitimate even if it does not pass through a peer review process. This is an important point.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
We all know that there is an abundance of poorly created studies and the media sensationalizes and cherry picks certain elements of these studies.

I am looking to better arm myself against such problems. Currently I'm working on the Khan Academy statistic course to give myself a better simple understanding of stat-terms and how to produce a good report.

What I am looking for here is good books, sites, or available courses to help me through this process. Help me understand peer-reviewed research vs. non-peer reviewed, help me see through the advertisement and be able to identify a good study vs. a poorly done one.

Kind of an odd request, but I figure it was worth a shot to see what people had available.

Science news on Phys.org
There is no fundamental difference between peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed research in terms of correctness. Peer review does not make wrong research right, nor does non-peer-review make right research wrong. However, given that there is so much rubbish out there, non-experts will depend on peer-review to help them decide whether they want to give it a second look.

Likes RJLiberator
Indeed, I am with you there.

I was trying to come up with a quick example about the type of material I am looking to learn about.

Precisely. This breaks down a sample study and explains what things went well and what things didn't go so well -- allowing the reader to truly understand the ramifications of the study.

If there's any, perhaps more general, material on this subject in a book/course form, that would be ideal.

Like a tool-kit to see through the junk.

I seriously doubt that there are any general reference material for assessing research paper except for maybe ubiquitous techniques used in analyzing data like statistical analysis of data. To completely assess a research one needs to be familiar with the specifics which vary considerable even in the same disciple as nuclear physics, where a gamma angular correlation expert may not have much to say about neutron beam excitation physics. Peer review is done by persons doing closely related type of work. You wouldn't have a condensed matter physicist review an astrophysics paper. It is best for a non expert to seek critiques of papers from a reliable source. Such a source should precisely identify him/herself and credentials.

Likes tom aaron and RJLiberator
Interesting. Looks like a good read on this topic. I'll give it a whirl.

gleem said:
I seriously doubt that there are any general reference material for assessing research paper except for maybe ubiquitous techniques used in analyzing data like statistical analysis of data. To completely assess a research one needs to be familiar with the specifics which vary considerable even in the same disciple as nuclear physics, where a gamma angular correlation expert may not have much to say about neutron beam excitation physics. Peer review is done by persons doing closely related type of work. You wouldn't have a condensed matter physicist review an astrophysics paper. It is best for a non expert to seek critiques of papers from a reliable source. Such a source should precisely identify him/herself and credentials.

So true.

In my discipline we all know each other. 5 or 6 in the world who have an understanding of the research. Nobody outside of this group would be able to peer review or comment on the legitimacy of the methodology used.

As you state, people do not do research in 'nuclear physics' but a specific subset of the field. The same in geology. In my research in biostratigraphy we are in a bubble that is impenetrable to the understanding of most geologists.

Anyways, this is why the reputation of a publication is so important. Is it accepted as part of the total knowledge of science? Can it be used as a reference to support further research?

Related to Book or Course on How to Analyze Scientific Studies?

1. What is the purpose of a book or course on how to analyze scientific studies?

A book or course on how to analyze scientific studies is designed to teach individuals the skills and techniques necessary to critically evaluate and interpret scientific research. This includes understanding the scientific method, identifying potential biases and flaws in study design, and properly analyzing and interpreting data.

2. Who would benefit from a book or course on how to analyze scientific studies?

Anyone who is interested in understanding and evaluating scientific research would benefit from a book or course on how to analyze scientific studies. This includes students, scientists, healthcare professionals, and the general public.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book or course on how to analyze scientific studies?

Topics covered in a book or course on how to analyze scientific studies may include the scientific method, experimental design, statistical analysis, bias and confounding, and interpretation of results. It may also cover specific types of studies, such as clinical trials, observational studies, and meta-analyses.

4. How can learning how to analyze scientific studies benefit me?

Learning how to analyze scientific studies can benefit you in many ways. It can help you make informed decisions about your health and well-being, understand the implications of scientific research in the news, and critically evaluate claims and arguments based on scientific evidence. It can also improve your own research skills if you are a student or scientist.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking a course on how to analyze scientific studies?

While there are no strict prerequisites for taking a course on how to analyze scientific studies, a basic understanding of scientific concepts and research methods may be helpful. Some courses may also require a background in statistics. However, many courses are designed for beginners and can be taken by anyone with an interest in the subject.