Book on Infinitesimal Calculus: Deriving DEs for EE Students

In summary, the conversation is about a recommendation for a book on infinitesimal calculus, specifically in regards to the derivation of differential equations. The person asking for the recommendation is an EE student with a background in calculus but is struggling to understand the derivation of the Black-Scholes PDE. The book recommended is "Differential Equations with applications and historical notes" by George F Simmons, which covers a wide range of areas in a compact and accessible manner.
foges
Hey guys, can anyone recommend me a book on infinitesimal calculus. What i mean by infinitesimal calculus is the derivation of differential equations by looking at infinitesimal changes ([tex]dx\,dt[/tex], etc...).

Examples of this would be the Black-Scholes PDE, Euler-Bernoulli DE, etc..

I'm an EE student and have a solid background in Math (Calculus I,II & III, etc..), but when my Prof. derived the black-scholes PDE in two slides I couldn't quite follow

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Or can someone just give me the name of the subject? because i can't seem to find anything under infinitesimal calculus..

I doubt that one book contains all you require but try

Differential Equations with applications and historical notes

by

George F Simmons

In a compact book the author manages a sweep through most areas from traditional right through to modern chaos theory in a very accessible manner.

thanks, will check it out :)

Related to Book on Infinitesimal Calculus: Deriving DEs for EE Students

1. What is "Infinitesimal Calculus"?

Infinitesimal Calculus, also known as Differential and Integral Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves methods and techniques for finding rates of change, slopes of curves, areas under curves, and many other applications.

2. How is "Infinitesimal Calculus" related to Electrical Engineering?

Infinitesimal Calculus is an essential tool for analyzing and designing complex electrical systems. Many concepts in electrical engineering, such as circuit analysis, signal processing, and control systems, rely heavily on the principles of Calculus to model and solve real-world problems.

3. What are "differential equations" (DEs) and why are they important for EE students?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on its current value and rate of change. In Electrical Engineering, DEs are used to model and analyze dynamic systems, such as circuits and control systems, to predict their behavior and performance.

4. Is "Book on Infinitesimal Calculus" suitable for beginners in EE?

Yes, "Book on Infinitesimal Calculus" is designed for EE students at the introductory level. The book starts with basic concepts and gradually builds up to more advanced topics, making it suitable for beginners.

5. What makes "Book on Infinitesimal Calculus" different from other calculus books?

"Book on Infinitesimal Calculus" is specifically tailored for EE students, focusing on applications and examples relevant to the field. It also includes a chapter on how to use calculus to solve problems in various areas of electrical engineering, making it a comprehensive and practical resource for students in this field.