Book idea: mathematical techniques in introductory physics

In summary: It would be a very useful resource for me, as I am currently taking an introductory physics course that uses this same approach, and I would like to be able to reference it more easily.In summary, the book is a helpful resource for people who are taking an introductory physics course, and the concepts are presented in a way that is accessible to those who are not familiar with calculus or differential equations.
Scott Hill
I have a set of class notes that I've been thinking about publishing as a book, and I wonder what y'all thought about it. The book is intended for people who have taken introductory physics, and it is organized by mathematical topic or technique, with a specific focus on calculus. There are chapters on flux, rates, spatial derivatives, symmetry, coordinate systems, surface and volume integrals, and differential equations, and each chapter revisits physics topics that use that particular technique.

Sound interesting?

Likes KSG4592
Physics news on Phys.org
why not?

Likes Scott Hill
cpsinkule said:
why not?
Actually, there's a good reason: it needs a good amount of editing, and it's only one of a dozen projects. A sudden outpouring of enthusiasm would help me decide if it's worth the effort. :)

I majored in chemical engineering, though at heart I was always a physicist (it's a long story). Life got in the way (another long story) and it took me years to finally get back on track and go to physics graduate school. I barely managed to squeak in, and when I did I struggled severely because I had forgotten most of the few things that would have been useful to me, on top of there being things that I didn't even know I had to know. The mathematical tools and physics were scattered all over the place, and I had a hard time putting things together. Eventually I completed my Masters, but a book like the one you describe would have made things a lot easier for me.

Last edited:
Likes Scott Hill
I am writing something similar, but I suspect aimed at a slightly more advanced level. It started out as a collection of lecture notes for a course I am teaching, but now includes some additional topics.

I assume knowledge of calculus and ordinary differential equations as these are course prerequisites. The idea is to present several familiar examples but using the more general framework to arrive at the result and to connect it to previous knowledge. In the end, I am planning to introduce some more advanced physics using the very same methods.

Likes vanhees71
Scott Hill said:
I have a set of class notes that I've been thinking about publishing as a book, and I wonder what y'all thought about it. The book is intended for people who have taken introductory physics, and it is organized by mathematical topic or technique, with a specific focus on calculus. There are chapters on flux, rates, spatial derivatives, symmetry, coordinate systems, surface and volume integrals, and differential equations, and each chapter revisits physics topics that use that particular technique.

Sound interesting?
I would almost certainly use this if it were published.

Likes Scott Hill

Related to Book idea: mathematical techniques in introductory physics

1. What is the main purpose of your book?

The main purpose of this book is to introduce mathematical techniques that are commonly used in introductory physics courses, in order to help students better understand and apply these techniques in their studies.

2. Who is the target audience for your book?

The target audience for this book is students who are taking introductory physics courses, as well as anyone who is interested in learning or reviewing the mathematical techniques used in physics.

3. What mathematical concepts will be covered in your book?

This book will cover a range of mathematical concepts, including basic algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and vectors. These concepts will be presented in the context of physics problems to help students see the practical applications of these techniques.

4. How will your book be organized?

The book will be organized into chapters, each focusing on a different mathematical concept. Each chapter will include explanations of the concept, examples of how it is used in physics problems, and practice exercises for students to work through.

5. What makes your book unique compared to other resources on this topic?

This book will be unique in that it specifically focuses on the mathematical techniques used in introductory physics, rather than being a general math textbook. It will also include numerous examples and practice exercises to help students apply these techniques to real-world problems. Additionally, the book will be written in a clear and accessible language, making it easy for students to understand and learn from.