Boiling points and hydrogen bondings

In summary, the boiling points of HF, HCl, HBr and HI are all higher than the boiling point of water. The order of boiling points is HCl > HBr > HI, which is opposite to what would be expected. This is because the hydrogen bondings between H and F are stronger than other hydrogen bondings, and this increases the boiling point of HF.
kasse

Homework Statement

Explain the boiling points of HF, HCl, HBr nd HI

The Attempt at a Solution

The boiling points are:

HF: 20 C
HCl: -85 C
HBr: -67 C
HI: -35 C

The hydrogen bondings between H and F are stronger than other hydrogen bondings. Therefore HF has the highest boiling point. But then I'd expect the order to be HCl > HBr > HI; not the opposite. How can that be explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
do H-bonds really occur in all the hydrogen halides? what are the requirements for an H-bond to be formed?

kasse said:

Homework Statement

Explain the boiling points of HF, HCl, HBr nd HI

The Attempt at a Solution

The boiling points are:

HF: 20 C
HCl: -85 C
HBr: -67 C
HI: -35 C

The hydrogen bondings between H and F are stronger than other hydrogen bondings. Therefore HF has the highest boiling point. But then I'd expect the order to be HCl > HBr > HI; not the opposite. How can that be explained?

This is somewhat of a trick question you really need to observe the relations between the intermolecular and intramolecular-what's especially important here is the polarizability with additional regard to dipole moments due to electronegativity- attractions in this case.

Kushal said:
what are the requirements for an H-bond to be formed?

No idea. My book only says that H-bonds occur between molecules when a H-atom bonds with an electronegative atom.

it should've been said 'a VERY elctronegative atom'. only N, O and F can form H-bonds. does this help you?!

Yes, thanks.

i was more expecting you to explain the trends in boiling point using this information than saying thanks.

:)

This is actually a very hard trick question. I know I had some problem with it in the first chem-course at my university. But, it is a very multifaceted question. And also a rather tricky one, because many factors play their part in a complex thing like boiling points. Dipole-momentum, electronegativity, bond-lengths and such. But one thing that often is overlooked and why this is a hard question is about the quantum number, the amount of shells and electrons in the atom.

When a atom has a lot of electrons, they also increase the the amounts of van-der-waalforces in the molecule. And if the amount goes up for a given timeperiod, the strength of the bond also goes up.

Which means that downward in the halide-group, you always get stronger bonds (van-der-waals) due to larger molecules. This is something you can generalize on the atomic table and periods. But remember, that it is a lot of exceptions to this rule. Which is why chemistry is a bit tricky.

Related to Boiling points and hydrogen bondings

1. What is the relationship between boiling points and hydrogen bonding?

The presence of hydrogen bonding between molecules increases the boiling point of a substance. This is because hydrogen bonds are stronger intermolecular forces compared to dipole-dipole interactions or London dispersion forces, and therefore require more energy to break.

2. Can hydrogen bonding occur between any molecules?

No, hydrogen bonding can only occur between molecules that have a hydrogen atom bonded to an electronegative atom such as nitrogen, oxygen, or fluorine. This is due to the large difference in electronegativity between hydrogen and these atoms, creating a polar covalent bond.

3. How does hydrogen bonding affect the physical properties of a substance?

Aside from increasing the boiling point, hydrogen bonding can also affect other physical properties such as surface tension, viscosity, and solubility. This is because hydrogen bonds between molecules create a stronger attraction and can affect their arrangement and movement.

4. Can hydrogen bonding affect the chemical properties of a substance?

Yes, hydrogen bonding can affect the reactivity of a substance. For example, molecules that can form hydrogen bonds are more likely to undergo reactions with other molecules that can also form hydrogen bonds, as these bonds can be easily broken and reformed during a reaction.

5. Is hydrogen bonding the strongest type of intermolecular force?

No, there are other intermolecular forces that are stronger than hydrogen bonding, such as ionic bonds and covalent bonds. However, among the types of intermolecular forces, hydrogen bonding is one of the strongest and can have a significant impact on the physical and chemical properties of substances.