Boat Vector Physics Problem with River Current - Homework Help

In summary, the first question asks for the direction upstream that the boat needs to be steered in order to travel directly across a river with a current of 1.0 m/s. The answer is 18 degrees, but the direction is not specified. The second question asks how far downstream the boat will reach the opposite bank if it travels directly across the river which is 1.0 km wide. The only given information is the velocity vectors of the boat and the current, so vector calculations can be used to solve this problem.
Awsom Guy

Homework Statement

I have two questions but I need help with the second.
1. A boat can travel at 3.0ms-2 in still water and wishes to travel directly across a river with a current of 1.0ms-1. What direction upstream does the boat need to be steered.
I got the answer - the boat goes at an 18 [tex]\circ[/tex] and at an direction which I don't know.
2. If the boat in question 4 heads directly across the river which is 1.0km wide how far downstream will it reach the opposite bank?

Homework Equations

Just Vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I attempted it.
I had a triangle with the 1.0km across another side.
I didn't really get that far.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

If the boat travels at 3 m/s and the current is 1 m/s that means for every 3 meters the boat travels in the perpendicular direction, the current carries it 1 meter in the parallel direction (relative to the shores).

Can you go from there?

wait isn't that for the first question, i need help on the second question please. Maybe I wasn't clear on the question I have metioned it there, the first question is there because the second one belongs to the first.
Thanks.

Related to Boat Vector Physics Problem with River Current - Homework Help

What is a "boat vector physics problem"?

A boat vector physics problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of a boat through water. The problem typically includes variables such as the boat's velocity, direction, and any external forces acting upon it.

What are the key principles of boat vector physics?

The key principles of boat vector physics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of momentum, and vector addition. These principles help to describe the motion of the boat and its interactions with the water and other forces.

How can I calculate the velocity of a boat in a vector physics problem?

The velocity of a boat can be calculated using the equation: velocity = distance / time. In a vector problem, the distance and time values will be represented as vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. The velocity vector will then be the resultant of these vectors when added together using vector addition.

What factors can affect the motion of a boat in a vector physics problem?

The motion of a boat in a vector physics problem can be affected by various factors such as the direction and strength of the wind, the shape and weight of the boat, and the properties of the water (e.g. currents, waves). These factors can change the boat's velocity and direction, and must be taken into account when solving the problem.

How can I use boat vector physics to improve my boat's performance?

By understanding the principles of boat vector physics, you can make informed decisions on how to optimize your boat's performance. For example, you can adjust the angle and direction of the boat's sails to take advantage of the wind's force, or make changes to the boat's design to reduce drag and increase speed. Additionally, understanding the effects of external forces on the boat can help you navigate through different water conditions more effectively.