Blue light and resonant frequencies

In summary, the conversation discussed multiple choice questions related to the behavior of blue light when striking opaque objects with different resonant frequencies. The first question asked about the effects of blue light on an object with the same resonant frequency, with possible answers being A, B, C. The second question asked about the effects on an object with a lower resonant frequency, with a possible answer being D. The third question asked about properties of ultraviolet light, with correct answers being A and D. The concept of resonant frequency was discussed and questioned for clarity.
AFSteph
Hello again! Just a few multiple choice questions.

When blue light strikes an opaque object whose resonant frequency is the same as the frequency of the blue light what happens? ( Choose as many as apply)
A) The amplitude of the vibrations of the electrons in the object becomes larger
B) The object becomes warm
C) The blue light is absorbed without reemission
D) The blue light is reflected by the electrons in the object
E) The blue light is transmitted through the object

I think A, B, C

When blue light strikes an opaque object whose resonant frequency is lower than the frequency of blue light what happens?
A) The amplitude of the vibrations of the electrons in the object becomes larger
B) The object becomes warm
C) The blue light is absorbed without reemission
D) The blue light is reflected by the electrons in the object
E) The blue light is transmitted through the object

I think D

Which of the following is true of ultraviolet light? (Choose as many as apply)
A) It has a higher frequency than that of visible light
B) Unlike visible light, it is not an electromagnetic wave
C) The Earth's atmosphere is completely opaque to it
D) It is responsible for sunburns.

I think A & DI don't want you guys to give me the answers, I'd just like to know if I'm understanding this right. Thank you for any assistance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Resonant frequency"... I guess this means the same as the plasma frequency. Then I agree with (D) in the second question.
How did you get A,B,C in the first question?

The answers to the third question are right.

The concept of "Resonant frequency of an object" in this context is not well defined. Resonance of what inside the object? Are you talking about plasma frequency in a metal, as mfb suggested?
Where did you get those questions from?
Without proper context, is hard to say if (and what) you understand.

Related to Blue light and resonant frequencies

1. What is blue light?

Blue light is a type of visible light that is characterized by its short wavelength and high energy. It falls within the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation between 380-500 nanometers and is typically seen as a blue color.

2. What are resonant frequencies?

Resonant frequencies are the natural frequencies at which an object or system vibrates with the greatest amplitude when excited by an external force. They are specific to each object and are determined by its size, shape, and material.

3. How is blue light related to resonant frequencies?

Blue light can have a resonant frequency that is specific to certain materials or structures. When blue light is shone on an object with a resonant frequency that matches its own, the energy from the light can cause the object to vibrate and potentially break apart.

4. Are there any health effects of blue light and resonant frequencies?

Blue light exposure has been linked to a variety of health effects such as eye strain, sleep disruption, and increased risk of macular degeneration. However, the effects of resonant frequencies on human health are still being studied and are not yet fully understood.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the potential negative effects of blue light and resonant frequencies?

To protect ourselves from blue light and resonant frequencies, we can limit our exposure to blue light by decreasing screen time, using blue light filters on electronic devices, and wearing blue light blocking glasses. Additionally, more research is needed to fully understand the potential health effects and to develop effective protective measures.