Block Diagram of Transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a block diagram and obtaining a closed-loop transfer function. The first attachment is the original question and the second attachment shows the first step in simplification. The conversation also touches on the issue of identifying the reductions made in the diagram and the use of control block reduction rules. The main confusion is understanding where the +1 term comes from in the reduction of the last sum node.
jahlin

Homework Statement

Simplify the block diagram in figure and obtain the closed-loop transfer function. The first attachment is the question and the second attachment is the first step to the simplification of the block diagram.

Homework Equations

What i don't understand is how do you get rid off the summing point before the last block and replace it with the block( (1/G2(s))+1) in the first step. I don't understand the first step at all. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• step1.JPG
    step1.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 549
Physics news on Phys.org
You mention two attachments, but I only see one. I am guessing that you "only" have trouble identifying which simple reductions that have been employed from first to second diagram, but without seeing both diagrams its probably hard for people here to give you help.

heres the block diagram which i refer to in my original post.

the above attachment is the 1st step in reducing this block diagram.

Attachments

• control.JPG
    control.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 544
Note, that the last sum node is not involved in any feed-back loops, so its input is simply two parallel blocks with a common input, which can be reduced to a single block with a sum. Picking the first hit I get when searching for "control block reduction" [1] as reference, the reduction can be seen as a case of applying rule 4. You should be able to find the reduction in your textbook if it has a similar list of rules.

[1] http://www.msubbu.in/sp/ctrl/BD-Rules.htm

what i fail to figure out is (1/G2) + 1 where this +1 comes from.

thanks for your help.

The last sum node has two inputs: a line with a 1/G2 block and a line with no block. As you know, the diagram X --->A--- Y represents the equation Y = AX, that is, if you start with X and then multiply it with block A you get Y. Now think about what the diagram would mean if the line has no block, like X ------ Y (hint: it means Y=X) and what value of A would correspond to this diagram (hint: what value of A makes Y=AX equal to X=Y? Having this special value you can replace an empty line with a line that has a block with this special value).

Related to Block Diagram of Transfer function

1. What is a block diagram of a transfer function?

A block diagram of a transfer function is a graphical representation of the interconnection between different components or blocks that make up a system. It shows the input and output signals and how they are related to each other through the transfer function.

2. How is a block diagram of a transfer function used?

A block diagram of a transfer function is used to analyze and design control systems. It helps in understanding the behavior of a system and how changes in the input affect the output. It also aids in identifying the critical components of a system and their impact on the overall performance.

3. What are the advantages of using a block diagram of a transfer function?

Using a block diagram of a transfer function allows for a systematic and visual approach to understanding and designing control systems. It simplifies complex systems into individual blocks, making it easier to analyze and troubleshoot. It also provides a clear representation of the relationship between different components.

4. What are the components of a block diagram of a transfer function?

The main components of a block diagram of a transfer function are the input signal, output signal, and the transfer function itself. The input signal is the signal that is applied to the system, and the output signal is the resulting signal. The transfer function represents the relationship between the input and output signals.

5. How is a block diagram of a transfer function different from a signal flow graph?

A block diagram of a transfer function uses rectangular blocks to represent the components of a system, while a signal flow graph uses nodes and branches. In a block diagram, the interconnection between components is shown through the direction of the arrows, while in a signal flow graph, the direction of the signal flow is represented by the direction of the branches. Additionally, a transfer function is represented by a single block in a block diagram, while it is represented by a transfer function matrix in a signal flow graph.