Bloch wavepackets and the Pauli exclusion principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of wavepackets in the semiclassical approach in solid state physics and the potential violation of the Pauli exclusion principle. The conclusion is that symmetrization works even for wavepackets as long as they are not centered around the same eigenvalue k.
pedda
Hello,

I have a question concerning the use of wavepackets to justify the semiclassical approach in solid state physics. In Ashcroft/Mermin, the authors briefly mention that we can construct wave packets and then use them to describe the motion of the center which can be interpreted as what one usually calls the point particle electron. Now, the problem that I have is that for each state there is one Bloch vector k. If I was to form a wave packet spreading over several k, how can there be a second electron occupying the state k' that is right next to k? The packet centered around k will definitely have components of wave vector k' and vice versa. Doesn't this violate the pauli exclusion principle?

- Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
bump!
I have the same question :(. Did you manage to resolve it Peter??

Hey,

yes, I did resolve it for me, but I don't know if it is correct. The Pauli exclusion principle states that the wave function has to be antisymmetric with respect to the exchange of particles. The fact that you have two wavepackets centered around two different ks doesn't violate this principle, even if they are centered at the same place. You can write down the wavefunction for two gaussian wavepackets in the position representation. You will see that you will get something like

[itex]e^{-(x_1-ik_1)^2}e^{-(x_2-ik_2)^2}-e^{-(x_1-ik_2)^2}e^{-(x_2-ik_1)^2}[/itex]

+ some prefactors and other stuff. As you see, no problem here!

Hope this helps, Peter

I don't see any way to edit my last post, but an important part that I left out is the actual time development that appears in the denominator of the exponentials, so don't take what I've written too seriously. The most important part is that symmetrization works even for wavepackets as long as they are not centered around the same eigenvalue k.

Related to Bloch wavepackets and the Pauli exclusion principle

What is a Bloch wavepacket?

A Bloch wavepacket is a type of quantum wavepacket that describes the behavior of a particle in a periodic potential, such as a crystal lattice. It is a superposition of plane waves with different wavevectors, and its shape and motion are determined by the properties of the potential and the particle's energy.

What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) cannot occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms, as it explains why electrons occupy different energy levels and have specific spin orientations.

How are Bloch wavepackets related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

Bloch wavepackets are used to describe the behavior of particles in periodic potentials, such as electrons in a crystal lattice. The Pauli exclusion principle plays a crucial role in determining the shape and motion of these wavepackets, as it restricts the possible quantum states that electrons can occupy within the lattice.

What is the significance of Bloch wavepackets and the Pauli exclusion principle in materials science?

Bloch wavepackets and the Pauli exclusion principle are essential concepts in materials science, as they help us understand the behavior of electrons in materials with a periodic structure, such as crystals. This knowledge is crucial in designing and engineering new materials with specific properties, such as conductivity and magnetism.

What are some real-world applications of Bloch wavepackets and the Pauli exclusion principle?

Bloch wavepackets and the Pauli exclusion principle have numerous applications in modern technology, including semiconductors, transistors, and magnetic storage devices. They are also crucial in understanding the properties of materials used in renewable energy technologies, such as solar cells and batteries.