Bleached part of my favorite shirt

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, if you accidentally bleach a piece of clothing, the best course of action is to cut out the bleached area and re-dye it using a safer method.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I accidentally bleached part of my favorite shirt, it is/was a pale blue green color, how can i mix up some dye to match?

Physics news on Phys.org

wolram said:
I accidentally bleached part of my favorite shirt, it is/was a pale blue green color, how can i mix up some dye to match?

Wouldn't it be easier to bleach the whole shirt? lol.

You're boned. It's very nearly impossible to reliably and seamlessly re-dye bleach spots.

That makes sense, as long as the new dye adheres to and covers the bleached area in the same manner that it does the unbleached parts. Maybe he should bleach the whole thing first to level the playing field, then dye it all the colour that he wants.

Hey, Negitron... you sneaked in on me. My response was to David.

I thought i would have to re dye the whole shirt, it is just a matter of getting the right color dye, it is my favorite shirt and is about 20yrs old so you can tell i would hate to ruin it.

wolram said:
I thought i would have to re dye the whole shirt, it is just a matter of getting the right color dye, it is my favorite shirt and is about 20yrs old so you can tell i would hate to ruin it.
It sounds like we've already passed the point of ruining it. Now you have to consider options. :-p

They sell a special dye remover that removes color more safely than bleach, then you can re-dye it whatever color you like.

I say wear as-is

When I do that, I use paint pens and color in a funky pattern. It mostly turns out ok, but it always says I bleached my shirt, buts its still too cool to toss out.:blushing:

wolram said:

Can't help, but if you do manage to match the color I say bleach and re-dye all your other shirts that color. Then they can all be your favorite, and you can wear your favorite shirt -- a clean one -- every day!

Thanks for replies guys, for sure i am never going to clean my cooker wearing my favorite shirt again.

Cut out the bleached part - then you won't have to worry about anyone noticing the bleached spot.

russ_watters said:
Cut out the bleached part - then you won't have to worry about anyone noticing the bleached spot.

:smile: Usually we save that sort of advice for tribdog.

I got as far as the shirt being 20 years old, and sort of chalked it up to something finally had to do it in, and maybe it's not really worth trying to save it. Just in the future don't wear good clothes when working with bleach.

Related to Bleached part of my favorite shirt

What causes a shirt to become bleached?

Bleaching occurs when a chemical, such as chlorine bleach, is applied to a fabric and removes the color by breaking down the dye molecules.

How can I prevent my shirt from getting bleached?

To prevent bleaching, avoid using harsh chemicals on your shirt and follow the care instructions on the label. Also, separate your whites and dark colors when doing laundry to prevent color transfer.

Is it possible to fix a bleached shirt?

It is possible to fix a bleached shirt, but the success depends on the severity of the bleaching. You can try using a dye remover or a color-safe bleach to restore the color. If the bleaching is severe, you may need to re-dye the shirt.

Can bleached shirts be harmful to wear?

In most cases, bleached shirts are not harmful to wear. However, if the bleaching was caused by a strong chemical, it is best to avoid wearing the shirt until it has been thoroughly washed and rinsed to remove any residue.

How can I prevent future bleaching on my favorite shirts?

To prevent future bleaching, always follow the care instructions on the label, avoid using harsh chemicals, and separate your whites and dark colors when doing laundry. You can also invest in color-safe laundry detergents and use a gentle cycle when washing your clothes.