Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 - (4) => (1)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, Bland explains how the statement "$x_{i}\in \displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}M_{\alpha}$ follows from the two previous statements" follows from the fact that the sum of any family of modules is a finitely nonzero sum.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Chapter 4, Section 4.1 on generating and cogenerating classes and need help with the proof of \(\displaystyle (4) \Longrightarrow (1)\) in Proposition 4.1.1.

Proposition 4.1.1 and its proof read as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3656
View attachment 3657

In the proof of \(\displaystyle (4) \Longrightarrow (1)\) in the text above, Bland writes:" ... ... Let \(\displaystyle \{ M_\alpha \}_\Delta\) be a family of submodules of \(\displaystyle M\) that spans \(\displaystyle M\). If \(\displaystyle X = \{ x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ , x_n \}\) is a finite set of generators of \(\displaystyle M\), then \(\displaystyle M = \sum_{ i = 1}^n x_i R = \sum_\Delta M_\alpha\).

Thus, for each \(\displaystyle i\), there is a finite set \(\displaystyle F_i \subseteq \Delta\) such that \(\displaystyle x_i \in \sum_{F_i} M_\alpha\). ... ... "
My question is as follows:

Why, exactly, does the statement:

... ... for each \(\displaystyle i\), there is a finite set \(\displaystyle F_i \subseteq \Delta\) such that \(\displaystyle x_i \in \sum_{F_i} M_\alpha\)

follow from the two previous statements?Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

The sum of any family of modules is a finitely nonzero sum.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

The sum of any family of modules is a finitely nonzero sum.
Hi Fallen Angel ... thanks for the help in this matter ... ... however, I am still finding this difficult to follow ... are you able to be more explicit and explain further ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

You got the equality $\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_{i}R=\displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}M_{\alpha}$.

So $x_{i}\in \displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}M_{\alpha}$.

Then, in principle $x_{i}=\displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}m_{\alpha}$ with $m_{\alpha}\in M_{\alpha}$.

But this sum is finitely non zero, i.e. $m_{\alpha}=0$ for almost every $\alpha \in \Delta$

So $x_{i}=\displaystyle\sum_{F_{i}\subset \Delta}m_{\alpha}$ where $F_{i}$ is finite.($F_{i}=\{\alpha \in \Delta \ : \ m_{\alpha}\neq 0\}$)

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

You got the equality $\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_{i}R=\displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}M_{\alpha}$.

So $x_{i}\in \displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}M_{\alpha}$.

Then, in principle $x_{i}=\displaystyle\sum_{\Delta}m_{\alpha}$ with $m_{\alpha}\in M_{\alpha}$.

But this sum is finitely non zero, i.e. $m_{\alpha}=0$ for almost every $\alpha \in \Delta$

So $x_{i}=\displaystyle\sum_{F_{i}\subset \Delta}m_{\alpha}$ where $F_{i}$ is finite.($F_{i}=\{\alpha \in \Delta \ : \ m_{\alpha}\neq 0\}$)
Thanks for the help, Fallen Angel ... I can now understand the logic ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 - (4) => (1)

1. What is Bland - Proposition 4.1.1?

Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 is a mathematical theorem that states that if a sequence of numbers converges to a limit, then any subsequence of that sequence will also converge to the same limit.

2. What does the notation (4) => (1) mean in Bland - Proposition 4.1.1?

The notation (4) => (1) means that the condition stated in the fourth statement of the proposition implies the conclusion stated in the first statement.

3. Why is Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 important?

Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 is important because it is a fundamental result in mathematics that is used in various fields such as calculus, analysis, and statistics. It helps to prove the convergence of sequences and is a building block for more complex theorems.

4. Can you provide an example of Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 in action?

Yes, let's say we have a sequence of numbers: 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4,... which converges to the limit 0. Now, if we take a subsequence of this sequence, such as 1/4, 1/8, 1/12,..., it will also converge to the same limit of 0. This follows from Bland - Proposition 4.1.1.

5. Are there any exceptions to Bland - Proposition 4.1.1?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this proposition. For example, if the sequence has multiple limits or the subsequence has a different limit than the original sequence, then Bland - Proposition 4.1.1 does not apply. Additionally, it only applies to convergent sequences and not divergent ones.