Black Holes are Tears in Space

In summary, the first post discusses a 3D artist coming to the physics forum with questions or ideas. The first post reminds users that over-speculative posts are forbidden by the forum and offers a reminder about clocks and time. The second post discusses the concept of a white hole and how it fits one of the qualities of a black hole. The second post also discusses the concept of time and how it might be the same as space. The third post argues that PF is not a place to advertise one's website or its conclusions. The fourth post asks a good question about fitting a black hole into one's world view. The fifth post discusses the concept of time and how it might be the same as space. The sixth
sorad
First post. Please be gentle. I`m not a scientist, i`m actually a 3D Artist. I just have a lot of faith in science unfortunately didn`t have the attention span to pay attention enough in high school and even more tragic is that my university didn`t offer any science courses!

I was hoping it would be alright if I came to the Physics Forums with questions or ideas for scientific disapproval or consideration.

Questions such as this one:

Could it be possible that a Black Hole is a tear in space? It seems like it could be a way of explaining why some say you could travel through a black hole or worm hole and wind up somewhere else. If space itself was really in a shape we couldn't comprehend then maybe a tear in one place could wind up opening in an entirely different place. Does that make sense?

Thanks for listening. I appreciate it.

Space news on Phys.org
Wikipedia handles this quite well

White holes are the short answer. It is a theoretical solution to certain types of black holes. None have been observed to date.

I have often confabulated that our visible
universe is a black hole when observed from
the outside. How about the concept that the
visible universe is a white hole when observed
from the inside?...a form of symmetry.

How about an atom is a white hole we do observe from the outside? :bugeye:

petm1 said:

I think "beating a dead horse" must be against PF guidelines...grin, grin

ClamShell said:

So our visible universe could be within another universe? Sucking everything into it? Not even light can escape... maybe that could be what powers our universe to grow. Imagine if a star died in another universe and that's how our universe was born.

sorad said:
So our visible universe could be within another universe? Sucking everything into it? Not even light can escape... maybe that could be what powers our universe to grow. Imagine if a star died in another universe and that's how our universe was born.

It's up to you, what you think a black hole is. It's a prediction that
could be false, and mere substantiation via indirect evidence is not
proof.

ClamShell said:
I think "beating a dead horse" must be against PF guidelines...grin, grin

Thanks for the reminder, I should find something else to do with my time. :rolleyes:

I would remind you all that overly-speculative posts are forbidden by PF rules.

It's one thing to talk about areas of active reseach and currently-published theories; quite another to start supposing and maybe-ing for yourself.

petm1 said:
Thanks for the reminder, I should find something else to do with my time. :rolleyes:

PF is the very best place to come if you are "fine tuning" ideas
that you write about at your website(s). If you do not have a
personal website, then you MUST take the time to get(write)
one...time well spent.

If you do have a website and are "fine tuning" its ideas, then
PF is almost better time spent. Really, PF is quite amazing.

I think we both agree that PF is not a place to advertise your
website or its conclusions. And sarcasm (grin, grin), doesn't
seem to work anywhere. We all need reality checks.

I am full of questions, almost all of them concern time, this question "Black Holes are Tears in Space" leaves time out and I don't think you can explain a black hole without it. My question was about fitting a black and white "whole" into my world view in time. :wink:

petm1 said:

I really think this is a good question because an atom does fit one
of the qualities of a white hole (wiki), in that the probability of
"falling into" one would be very, very low. Also, photons seem
never to fall into atoms...as a photon is re-emitted as a
spectrum of photons in short order, back to us.

Perhaps your concerns about "time" should be qualified by the
belief that space and time are the same and should(can) not be
separated conceptually (cosmological principle). Are clocks the
same as time...are meter-sticks the same as space? Perhaps
clocks and meter-sticks are just "detectors" of space-time?

I really think this is a good question because an atom does fit one
of the qualities of a white hole (wiki), in that the probability of
"falling into" one would be very, very low. Also, photons seem
never to fall into atoms...as a photon is re-emitted as a
spectrum of photons in short order, back to us.

Think of the white hole as the little twist we call big bang, after about 380,000 light years it became unstable and broke apart into our massive point particles. One whole particle breaking up into billions of juxtapositions each dilating outwards. Inflation looks to me like the creation of space or the time between these particles. I read once about gravity being repulsive in the early universe, Do you "think" this could have been that "time"?

petm1 said:
Think of the white hole as the little twist we call big bang, after about 380,000 light years it became unstable and broke apart into our massive point particles. One whole particle breaking up into billions of juxtapositions each dilating outwards. Inflation looks to me like the creation of space or the time between these particles. I read once about gravity being repulsive in the early universe, Do you "think" this could have been that "time"?

I can only think of space-time between particles. The hypotenuse of a right triangle
with distance being one leg and c * time * i being the other leg where i is the
square root of negative one. IE, time being on an imaginary orthogonal axis with
scale factor being c. With the black hole, wormhole, white hole particle being
a construct to help distribute mass particles more evenly. You might enjoy following
the thread "What's behind the event horizon?" in cosmology...and please join if
you have questions.

Related to Black Holes are Tears in Space

1. What exactly is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to counteract its own gravitational collapse. This collapse causes the star's core to become extremely dense and creates a singularity, which is the point of infinite density at the center of a black hole.

3. How can we detect black holes?

Black holes cannot be directly observed because they do not emit or reflect any light. However, we can detect them through their effects on surrounding matter and light. This includes observing the gravitational lensing of light and the movement of stars or gas around the black hole.

4. What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If an object were to fall into a black hole, it would be stretched and torn apart by the intense gravitational forces. This process is known as spaghettification. Once an object passes the event horizon, the point of no return, it will be pulled towards the singularity at the center of the black hole and eventually be crushed into an infinitely small point.

5. Are black holes tears in space?

No, the idea that black holes are tears in space is a metaphor used to describe the extreme gravitational pull and the fact that nothing can escape from them. In reality, black holes are regions of extremely high gravity that distort the fabric of space-time, but they are not actual tears in space.