Black hole question (temperature)

In summary, the conversation discusses approximating the entropy of a black hole by determining the maximum number of particles needed to create the black hole and the energy of these particles. The entropy of the black hole is then calculated using this approximation, but it differs from the literature value by a factor of pi. The speaker is also trying to find the temperature of the black hole using the calculated entropy, but is unsure of the correct value for Q, the energy escaping from the black hole. One suggestion is that Q is equal to half of the black hole's mass-energy, as only one particle from a pair created at the event horizon can escape and release energy. However, this is only a guess and the correct value of Q is still unknown.
linda300
hey guys,

i'm working on this question to approximate the entropy of a black hole,

the approximation is that for the maximum entropy to be obtained you need a maximum number of particles to create the black hole, the particles must have low energies - large wavelength photons, but the maximum wavelength of the photons are twice the radius of the black hole.

so E = hc/λ=hc/2R

R = 2GM/c^2 (black hole of mass M)

The total energy of the black hole will be E_t = M c^2 and need

E_t = N hc/2R =M c^2

so from here you can find N to be N= 2MRc/h

and using the approximation that S = N k_b you can find the entropy of the black hole

S = (2 M R c k_b)/h

this entropy differs from the literature entropy by a factor of pi which i assume is due to the nature of the approximations,

my problem is, i want to find the temperature of the black hole using the entropy S i calculated

S = Q/T, but what is Q?

I have found online that Q=Mc^2, but I don't understand why.

using the literature expression for S i tried to derive the literature expression of the temperature by T = Q/S using Q=Mc^2 but the result differs by a factor of 2.

here is the working (literature case)

S=k_b (4 pi G M^2)/(hbar c)

T= Q/S = Mc^2 (hbar c)/ (4 pi G M^2 k_b)
=c^3 hbar/ (4 pi G M k_b)
but the literature value of T is
c^3 hbar/ (8 pi G M k_b)

which means that Q should = (1/2)Mc^2, but i don't understand why

what is the correct Q i should be using?

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has any ideas?

I'll be honest and tell you I don't really know, but what I think based on something I read once is that the energy (temperature) that escapes from a black hole (the only temperature you could measure) are the particle pairs that are created at the event horizon. It is 1/2 because only one of the pair escapes and gets far enough away to decay relasing the energy (e=mc^2) ? That really is a wild guess.

Related to Black hole question (temperature)

1. What is the temperature of a black hole?

The temperature of a black hole is actually not a single value, as it depends on the size of the black hole. Smaller black holes have higher temperatures, while larger black holes have lower temperatures. Theoretically, the temperature of a black hole can range from billions of degrees to just a few degrees above absolute zero.

2. How is the temperature of a black hole measured?

The temperature of a black hole is not directly measured, as it does not emit any light or radiation that can be detected. Instead, it is calculated using mathematical equations that relate the mass and size of the black hole to its temperature. Scientists also use indirect methods, such as studying the radiation emitted by matter falling into the black hole, to infer the temperature.

3. Can anything survive in a black hole's high temperature?

Due to the incredibly high temperatures of a black hole, it is unlikely that anything could survive within it. The intense gravitational forces would also rip apart any matter that gets too close to the black hole. However, some theories propose the existence of microscopic particles called "Hawking radiation" that could potentially escape from a black hole's event horizon.

4. How does the temperature of a black hole affect its surroundings?

The temperature of a black hole plays a crucial role in determining how it interacts with its surroundings. For example, the high temperatures of smaller black holes can cause them to emit large amounts of radiation, which can have a significant impact on the surrounding space. On the other hand, larger black holes with lower temperatures have a less noticeable effect on their surroundings.

5. Can the temperature of a black hole change?

Yes, the temperature of a black hole can change over time. As a black hole consumes matter and increases in size, its temperature will decrease. Conversely, as a black hole loses mass, its temperature will increase. However, these changes are relatively slow and may not be noticeable on a human timescale.