Black Hole Brief: Seeking Feedback

In summary, the individual is seeking feedback on an essay they wrote about black holes and energy transfer. Suggestions for which forum group to post it in include Astrophysics, Relativity, or Cosmology, with the most likely being Astrophysics due to the nature of black holes as astronomical bodies.
PeterToft
Hi guys,
I have a brief I wrote up about black holes and energy transfer across the event horizon.
I want some feedback - which forum group should I put it in?

Pete

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Pete! Welcome to PF! :smile:
PeterToft said:
Hi guys,
I have a brief I wrote up about black holes and energy transfer across the event horizon.
I want some feedback - which forum group should I put it in?

Pete

oh … just bung it anywhere (here will do) … nobody'll mind! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
oh … just bung it anywhere (here will do) … nobody'll mind! :biggrin:

I haven't seen the essay, but since it is about black holes I would advise him to post it in either Astrophysics or in the Relativity forum.

I just checked the first page of the Astrophysics forum listing and found 3 threads explicitly about Black Holes and a couple more about related structures like white or worm holes. There may be more, I didn't look very closely.

I've noticed when mentors move BH threads they typically move them to Astrophysics forum.

However my impression of the Relativity forum is they have a bunch of people there who are used to dealing with General Relativity questions, and it could be that Pete would get the best feedback on his essay there. Depending on how technical his essay, and what the GR math level of it is.

Last edited:
Naturally, since black holes are astronomical bodies, they belong in the astrophysics forum.

To break it down a bit:
Cosmology: relates to the overall properties and evolution of the universe as a whole. When talking about astronomical bodies, it only does so in a statistical sense.

Astrophysics: the physics of individual astronomical bodies (stars, galaxies, galaxy clusters, etc.).

Relativity: I'm not so sure what the mods mean by this. But the above are clear, so might as well stick to them as long as one of those categories is valid.

Related to Black Hole Brief: Seeking Feedback

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. What is the "Black Hole Brief: Seeking Feedback" study about?

The "Black Hole Brief: Seeking Feedback" study is a research project that aims to gather feedback from the public on their understanding and perception of black holes. This feedback will be used to improve public outreach and education about these mysterious objects.

3. How do scientists study black holes?

Scientists study black holes using a variety of methods, including observing their effects on nearby matter, analyzing their gravitational waves, and using computer simulations to model their behavior.

4. What are the potential implications of studying black holes?

Studying black holes can help us better understand the laws of physics, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the nature of space and time. It may also lead to advancements in technology, such as improved methods for detecting gravitational waves.

5. How can the public get involved in the "Black Hole Brief: Seeking Feedback" study?

The public can participate in the "Black Hole Brief: Seeking Feedback" study by completing surveys or participating in discussions and events organized by the research team. They can also follow the project's updates and findings on social media or through the project's website.