Birds Colliding mid-air, Conservation of Momentum

In summary, to protect their young, peregrine falcons will fly into birds of prey at high speeds. During one such encounter, a falcon weighing 560g and flying at 19.0m/s hit a 1.60kg raven flying at 9.0m/s at right angles to its original path. The falcon then bounced back at 5.0m/s. Using conservation of momentum, it was determined that the falcon changed the raven's direction of motion by 37°. However, this answer was later found to be incorrect due to the fact that momentum in the x and y directions are separately conserved in this scenario.
tbdm

Homework Statement

To protect their young in the nest, peregrine falcons will fly into birds of prey (such as ravens) at high speed. In one such episode, a 560g falcon flying at 19.0m/s hit a 1.60kg raven flying at 9.0m/s . The falcon hit the raven at right angles to its original path and bounced back at 5.0m/s . (These figures were estimated by the author as he watched this attack occur in northern New Mexico.)

By what angle did the falcon change the raven's direction of motion?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the falcon to be the y direction, and the raven to be the x direction. Using conservation of momentum, I came up with
(19 m/s)(0.56 kg) = (-5 m/s)(0.56 kg) + (1.6 kg) (vy) to find the y component of the end velocity of the raven. I got 6.825 m/s as the answer
(9 m/s)(1.6 kg) = (1.6 kg)(vx) to find the x component of the end velocity of the raven. I got 9 m/s as the answer.
Using the arc tangent of those two numbers, I got 37.1745483°, rounded to two significant figures, that is 37°, however this answer is incorrect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, could someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum in x and y are separately conserved. So if the falcon (moving in y) bounces back in the same direction (y) then it only changes the momentum of the raven in the y axis. The momentum of the raven in the x-axis is unchanged. I think!

Related to Birds Colliding mid-air, Conservation of Momentum

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal changes or interactions within the system. This means that in a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

2. How does this principle apply to birds colliding mid-air?

When birds collide mid-air, the principle of conservation of momentum applies as the two birds are considered a closed system. The momentum of each bird before the collision is transferred to the other bird, resulting in a change in direction and velocity for both birds. However, the total momentum of the system remains constant.

3. Why do birds collide mid-air?

Birds may collide mid-air due to a variety of reasons, such as poor visibility, crowding in a small space, or a sudden change in flight direction. These collisions are often accidental and can occur during migration, feeding, or courtship.

4. What are the potential consequences of birds colliding mid-air?

Collisions between birds can result in injury or death for one or both birds involved. Additionally, these collisions can also cause damage to the birds' environment, such as breaking branches or disrupting nests. In some cases, collisions can also lead to disruptions in bird populations and affect the overall ecosystem balance.

5. How can we minimize the occurrence of birds colliding mid-air?

To minimize the occurrence of birds colliding mid-air, it is important to understand the factors that contribute to these collisions. This can include reducing human-made obstacles in bird flight paths, such as power lines or tall buildings, and creating safe habitats for birds to fly and roost. Conservation efforts, such as monitoring bird populations and implementing flight diverters on power lines, can also help reduce the number of collisions.