Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses using Maxwell's equations to derive the value of B for a point charge. The individual proposes setting up a circular path at a distance R from the charge and finding the electric flux throughout the path. They also mention the need to get rid of the cross product in order to solve for B. Ultimately, the conversation encourages perseverance in solving the problem and suggests using the Biot-Savart Law.
discordplus

Homework Statement

Show that B for a point charge is equal to

6bb1d60bd48bb83ace488aa5e7b87cdf.png

Homework Equations

I'm not all that sure. I read that maxwell's equations can be used to derive this, so I'd imagine that it's

1c88050c83555c51feb62402559d6cae.png

The Attempt at a Solution

If it were that, then, if i have a point charge moving at some constant speed along the x-axis and I wanted to find B some distance R from it, at that point, I would create a circular path a distance x from the charge with radius R. I can find the electric flux due to the point charge throughout the entire circular disk. Because its moving with constant speed, i can find x(t) which is equal to vt setting my initial location for the charge at x = 0. Also because of the symmetry, B must be the same along the entire path since the charge is the same distance from every point on the path.

So, the flux as a function of the distance from the point charge is as shown in the picture below

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6956/itsazoo.png

Now that equation really does NOT look like it's going to go anywhere productive so I want to ask if my concepts/setup are right before going any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep going. Don't give up. Eventually, you will get the Biot-Savart Law.

(However, remember that you have to get rid of the cross product somehow. v cross r-unit is equal to vsin(theta) in magnitude, so substitute that to get rid of the vectors.)

I can say that your concepts and setup are on the right track. The Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a moving charge. It is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

In your attempt at a solution, you correctly identified the symmetry of the situation and used it to simplify the problem. However, the equation you have written does not seem to be the Biot-Savart Law. The Biot-Savart Law states that the magnetic field at a point is proportional to the current and the distance from the point to the current. It also takes into account the direction of the magnetic field, which is perpendicular to both the current and the distance vector.

To properly apply the Biot-Savart Law to your problem, you would need to consider the charge as a current, since it is moving. You would then need to use the equation B = (μ0/4π)(I×r)/r^3, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field. This equation takes into account the direction of the magnetic field, as well as the distance and current.

I hope this helps clarify the Biot-Savart Law for you. Keep up the good work in exploring and applying scientific concepts!

Related to Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge

What is the Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge?

The Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a moving point charge. It states that the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the product of the charge, the velocity of the charge, and the sine of the angle between the direction of the velocity and the line connecting the charge to the point.

When is the Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge applicable?

The Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge is applicable in cases where the charge is moving at a constant velocity and the distance between the charge and the point of interest is much larger than the size of the charge. It is also applicable in cases where the charge is moving in a vacuum or in a uniform medium with constant permeability.

How is the Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge different from Coulomb's Law?

The Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge and Coulomb's Law are both fundamental laws in electromagnetism, but they describe different phenomena. Coulomb's Law describes the electrostatic force between two stationary charges, while the Biot-Savart Law describes the magnetic field produced by a moving charge. The mathematical equations for these laws are also different.

What are the units of measurement for the Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge?

The Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge has units of tesla (T) for the magnetic field, coulomb (C) for the charge, and meter per second (m/s) for the velocity. The value of the constant of proportionality, known as the permeability of free space, is 4π x 10^-7 T*m/A.

How is the Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge used in practical applications?

The Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and light. In addition, it is an important tool in the field of medical imaging, specifically in MRI machines, which use magnetic fields to create images of the body's internal structures.