Biostatistics, help deciding on a test

In summary, the problem involves analyzing the relationship between receiving an antibiotic and receiving an antibiotic culture while in the hospital using a significance test. The two tests suggested are McNemar's Test and a Chi-Square Test for Independence, but due to the small sample size, Fisher's exact test may be more accurate. Additionally, McNemar's test can be viewed as a within-subject design.
Mogarrr

Homework Statement

Refer to Table 2.11.
10.6 What significance test can be used to assess whether there is a relationship between receiving an antibiotic and receiving an antibiotic culture while in the hospital?

Here's my attempt of recreating the table:
[itex]\newcommand\T{\Rule{0pt}{1em}{.3em}}
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|}
\hline ID & Antibiotic(1=Yes,2=NO) & Culture(1=Yes,2=NO) \T \\\hline
1 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
2 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
3 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
4 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
5 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
6 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
7 \T & 1 & 1 \\\hline
8 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
9 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
10 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
11 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
12 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
13 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
14 \T & 1 & 1 \\\hline
15 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
16 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
17 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
18 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
19 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
20 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
21 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
22 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
23 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
24 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
25 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
\end{array}
[/itex]

Homework Equations

Two tests from this chapter are McNemar's Test and a Chi-Square Test for Independence

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea which test to use. Since the problem is asking for a test for association, I would think a chi-square test is appropriate, however the nature of the data makes me question that. I would think that, since we are looking at the same subject in the table, this is a dependent sample. However, the null hypothesis for McNemar's test is that the marginal probabilities are equal or that the probability of each type of discordant pair are equal. The problem isn't asking that, just asking if there is a relationship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would tend to agree with the Chi squared test.
You are testing for dependence.

Likes Mogarrr
Mogarrr said:

Homework Statement

Refer to Table 2.11.
10.6 What significance test can be used to assess whether there is a relationship between receiving an antibiotic and receiving an antibiotic culture while in the hospital?

Here's my attempt of recreating the table:
[itex]\newcommand\T{\Rule{0pt}{1em}{.3em}}
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|}
\hline ID & Antibiotic(1=Yes,2=NO) & Culture(1=Yes,2=NO) \T \\\hline
1 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
2 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
3 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
4 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
5 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
6 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
7 \T & 1 & 1 \\\hline
8 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
9 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
10 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
11 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
12 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
13 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
14 \T & 1 & 1 \\\hline
15 \T & 2 & 1 \\\hline
16 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
17 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
18 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
19 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
20 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
21 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
22 \T & 1 & 2 \\\hline
23 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
24 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
25 \T & 2 & 2 \\\hline
\end{array}
[/itex]

Homework Equations

Two tests from this chapter are McNemar's Test and a Chi-Square Test for Independence

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea which test to use. Since the problem is asking for a test for association, I would think a chi-square test is appropriate, however the nature of the data makes me question that. I would think that, since we are looking at the same subject in the table, this is a dependent sample. However, the null hypothesis for McNemar's test is that the marginal probabilities are equal or that the probability of each type of discordant pair are equal. The problem isn't asking that, just asking if there is a relationship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could use either a NcNemar or a chi-squared test, but since the sample size is small, those will be inaccurate. If you can, you should try Fisher's exact test. See, eg., http://yatani.jp/teaching/doku.php?id=hcistats:chisquare .

Last edited:
I have an exact test for small samples, however I wanted to talk about one more thing concerning this problem. I just learned that McNemar's test can be viewed as a within Chi-Squared Test.

Do you think this data is an example of a within-subject design?

Related to Biostatistics, help deciding on a test

1. What is Biostatistics?

Biostatistics is a branch of statistics that is focused on analyzing and interpreting data related to health and biology. It involves using statistical methods to draw conclusions and make predictions about biological systems and processes.

2. What types of tests are used in Biostatistics?

There are several types of tests used in Biostatistics, such as t-tests, ANOVA, chi-square tests, regression analysis, and survival analysis. The type of test used depends on the research question and the type of data being collected.

3. How do I decide which test to use for my data?

To decide on the appropriate test for your data, you first need to identify your research question and the type of data you have (e.g. continuous, categorical, time-to-event). You can then consult with a biostatistician or refer to statistical textbooks or online resources to determine the most appropriate test for your specific research question.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a test?

When choosing a test for your data, you should consider the type of data you have, the research question you are trying to answer, the assumptions of the test, and the sample size. It is also important to consider any previous studies that have used similar data and the recommendations of experts in the field.

5. Can I use the same test for different research questions?

In some cases, the same test can be used for different research questions. However, it is important to carefully consider the research question and the assumptions of the test before applying it to a new data set. It is always best to consult with a biostatistician to ensure the appropriate test is being used for your specific research question.