Biophysics enzyme experiments for a second year lab

In summary, the conversation is about finding appropriate experiments for an introductory biophysics course for second year students. The person is specifically looking for enzyme/molecular motor experiments and is struggling to find any. A suggestion is made to use a paper from the 70's involving cells deposited on Saran Wrap to visualize cell locomotion and calculate the forces involved. The discussion then shifts to discussing laboratory instrumentation and the possibility of using immunostaining for actin or tubulin.
ineptitude
Hi

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I am trying to find some experiments that would be appropriate for an introductory biophysics course for some second year students. Any links/pointers in the right direction would be great, although I'm specifically looking for enzyme/molecular motor experiments. I thought there would be many of these experiments on the web or in books but at this stage I am struggling to find any.

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an idea off the top of my head- one of the first papers on cell locomotion involved cells deposited on Saran Wrap. As the cell created filipodia and began to move, the saran wrap became wrinkled and easily visualized. From this, the author (IIRC) calculated the forces involved for cell locomotion (which involves the actin-myosin system). I could try and locate the paper (it was in Science in the 70's, I think), but you need a lot of equipment to be able to do this: cell culture specifically.

Actually, that's a better point- what type of laboratory instrumentation do you have access to? What level of wet chem lab sophistication do the students have?

A simpler experiment could simply be immunostaining for actin or tubulin (or both): some good chem experience, some bio experience, some optics experience.

That experiment sounds very cool, thanks for your reply. I'll have a further look into that. I'm not 100% sure on how sophisticated the lab is at this stage, but I assume we will head to the biochem lab to do some of the experiments.

Related to Biophysics enzyme experiments for a second year lab

1. What is the purpose of conducting enzyme experiments in a biophysics lab?

The purpose of conducting enzyme experiments in a biophysics lab is to understand the physical and chemical properties of enzymes, which are biological molecules that act as catalysts for chemical reactions in living organisms. By studying enzymes, scientists can gain insight into the mechanisms of various biochemical processes and potentially develop new treatments for diseases.

2. What types of enzymes are commonly studied in biophysics experiments?

Commonly studied enzymes in biophysics experiments include proteases, which break down proteins, and lipases, which break down lipids. Other enzymes that may be studied include amylases, which break down carbohydrates, and DNA polymerases, which are involved in DNA replication.

3. How are enzyme experiments conducted in a biophysics lab?

In a biophysics lab, enzyme experiments typically involve isolating a specific enzyme and studying its activity under various conditions. This can include measuring the rate of reaction at different temperatures or pH levels, or investigating the enzyme's interactions with different substrates or inhibitors. Techniques such as spectrophotometry, chromatography, and electrophoresis may be used to analyze the results of these experiments.

4. What are the potential applications of biophysics enzyme experiments?

The findings of biophysics enzyme experiments can have a wide range of applications. For example, understanding the mechanisms of enzymes involved in diseases such as cancer or Alzheimer's could lead to the development of new treatments. Enzyme experiments can also be used to optimize industrial processes, such as the production of food and pharmaceuticals, by studying and improving the efficiency of enzymes used in these processes.

5. What are some common challenges in conducting biophysics enzyme experiments?

One common challenge in conducting biophysics enzyme experiments is maintaining the stability and activity of the enzyme being studied. Enzymes are sensitive to changes in temperature, pH, and other environmental factors, so it is important to carefully control these variables during the experiment. Another challenge is obtaining reliable and reproducible results, as enzyme activity can vary between samples and experiments. Proper experimental design and careful data analysis are crucial in overcoming these challenges.